Fans of G.I. Joe may have had to face a longer than expected wait for the big screen sequel, G.I. Joe: Retaliation, to blast its way into theaters, but it looks like the film's home video release is moving along right on schedule.
A mere four months after the film's theatrical debut, Paramount has announced that G.I. Joe: Retaliation will be released on Blu-ray and DVD on July 30, following its digital release on July 16.
Here's the full list of special features that will be included with the Blu-ray combo pack:
- Commentary by director Jon M. Chu and producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura
- Mission Briefing—A look at pre-production, previsualization, storyboards and more.
- Deployment— As filming begins we take a closer look at the stunts, costumes and more.
- Two Ninjas—Focus on two G.I. JOE favorites, SNAKE EYES and JINX, and the filming of the Dojo sequence.
- The Desert Attack—An in-depth look at the filming of this pivotal action sequence.
- COBRA Strikes—Highlights of the villains featured in the film.
- The Lone Soldiers—Behind-the-scenes as ROADBLOCK, FLINT and LADY JAYE go on the run.
- The Monastery—An examination of the Himalayan escape sequence.
- Fort Sumter—An all-access view of the epic climax.
- Deleted Scenes
The most glaring omission from the above is a feature highlighting the 3D post-conversion process that delayed Retaliation's theatrical release by a full nine months. Initial rumors centered on potential expansion of returning star Channing Tatum's role in the film – following his success with Magic Mike and 21 Jump Street – but the finished film bore no hint that Tatum's role was affected.
However, the inclusion of a commentary track by director Jon M. Chu (who's also set to reboot Masters of the Universe) may provide some background information regarding the film's development and the decision to distance Retaliation from its 2009 predecessor, G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra.
G.I. Joe: Retaliation may not have been much of a marked improvement over the first film in terms of little things like plot or character development (read our review), but then again, this is G.I. Joe we're talking about here. The action sequences are what audiences come to see, and the special features for the Blu-ray release wisely focus on the technical aspect of the film. Notably, the Himalayan escape sequence – which many felt to be a highlight of the film – is the subject of its very own featurette.
Are you picking up a copy of G.I. Joe: Retaliation when it hits Blu-ray? Let us know in the comments.
G.I. Joe: Retaliation is out on Blu-ray and DVD on July 30th, 2013.
Leave A Comment
Looking for an AD FREE EXPERIENCE on ScreenRant?Get Your Free Access Now!