While heading into the eighth and final season of Game of Thrones, it's beneficial to answer this very important question: which major characters are still alive on the show? Considering the previous season debuted in the summer of 2017, fans have been waiting a long time for the closing chapter of the epic fantasy - and some may have forgotten exactly which characters have died and which ones are still around.
Much of the final season hangs on the revelation that Jon Snow is actually a Targaryen, making him a rightful heir to the Iron Throne. The discovery changes everything, especially when it comes to other power players like Daenerys and Cersei. Whether he turns out to be the "Prince That Was Promised" remains unknown, but by season's end, the truth will come out.
Click the button below to start this article in quick view.
Before Jon or Daenerys can focus on becoming the ruler of the Seven Kingdoms, they must focus their time and energy on the army of White Walkers and wights heading through Westeros. With the allied forces of the Starks and Targaryens coming together to take on the Night King, death for many is surely inevitable. As the Battle of Winterfell will presumably be the site of much of the bloodbath, time will come to say goodbye to many characters. Here's a detailed list of which major characters on Game of Thrones are still alive and who was lost along the way.
- This Page: Characters Still Alive in Game of Thrones Season 8
- Page 2: Characters Killed Off and Houses Wiped Out
House Stark Characters Who Are Still Alive In Game of Thrones Season 8
Jon Snow, the former Bastard of Winterfell turned King in the North, will lead the fight against the Night King. His story arc has been imperative to the series as a whole so it's only fitting that Jon Snow is surviving member of House Stark. That is until Jon finds out his true identity as Aegon Targaryen, son of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen. Bran is still in Winterfell waiting for Jon's arrival so he can share the truth about the Targaryen's newfound claim to the Iron Throne. The revelation will surely throw a wrench in Jon's romance with Daenerys.
The Stark sisters are alive and well, preparing the North for the fight to come. Sansa, the Lady of Winterfell, has evolved into a leader since returning back home. She will host Daenerys and her armies as they arrive in the North to battle the Night King. Meanwhile, Arya is stronger and more determined than ever. She's back at Winterfell after getting revenge on Walder Frey, while also killing House Frey's remaining heirs. Arya will be unstoppable, especially when working alongside her sister. The same will be said when she reunites with Jon since the pair had a meaningful bond growing up.
Aside from the siblings, House Stark has a number of key allies who will assist in their upcoming fight. Here is a breakdown of which characters are left on the side of the Starks and their current whereabouts:
- Samwell Tarly: In Winterfell to assist Jon in the fight against the Night King with the knowledge about his friend's true ancestry.
- Gilly: Accompanied Sam to Winterfell with their son after finding out the truth about Jon's parents.
- Davos Seaworth: Travelling back to Winterfell as Jon's new right-hand man and strategist for the Great War.
- Brienne of Tarth: Continuing to stand by Sansa's side as Winterfell prepares for the Great War.
- Podrick Payne: Assisting Brienne's efforts in Winterfell as a loyal ally to House Stark.
- Lyanna Mormont: As one of House Stark's allied forces, Lyanna intends to train her army for the impending battle against the Night King.
- Robin Arryn: The ruler of the Vale sent his army to defend Sansa from House Bolton. There is no word if he will assist in the Great War but he has pledged allegiance to House Stark in the past.
- Gendry: The last of the Baratheon bloodline is traveling to Winterfell with Jon and Daenerys to craft weapons for the impending fight.
- Tormund and Beric: Both men survived after Viserion burned down the Wall and are assumed to fight in the upcoming war.
- Ghost: The direwolf was not seen last season, but he supposedly stayed behind in Winterfell while Jon met Daenerys in Dragonstone.
House Targaryen Characters Who Are Still Alive In Game of Thrones Season 8
The Mother of Dragons is sailing North to fight in the Great War. Doing so puts her pursuit of the Iron Throne on hold, at least for the time being. Daenerys is the only known Targaryen left alive since Jon's identity is still a secret. She does have the command of two of her three dragons in Rhaegal and Drogon. The pair of dragons will undoubtedly be used during the Great War. Dany also has an impressive force behind her with the help of the Dothraki (minus Khal Drogo, who died in season 1) and Unsullied armies by her side. Her other key remaining allies are:
- Jorah Mormont: After surviving Greyscale, Jorah is back on Dany's side as he is accompanying the group to the North.
- Grey Worm: The captain of the Unsullied army is preparing his men to fight for the Mother of Dragons.
- Missandei: Dany's right-hand woman is assisting her leader while continuing her romance with Grey Worm.
- Lord Varys: Serving as Dany's Master of Whispers as they travel to the North for the Great War.
- Sandor Clegane, aka "The Hound": Joins the fight alongside Jon and Daenerys in the hopes of a future face off with his brother, Gregor.
- Daario Naharis: Despite revealing his love for Daenerys, she requests that he stay behind to keep the peace in the Bay of Dragons.
- Melisandre: After bringing Jon and Daenerys together, the Red Woman vows to stay away from the fights but claims her fate is to die in Westeros.
House Lannister Characters Who Are Still Alive In Game of Thrones Season 8
As the current ruler of the Seven Kingdoms, Cersei will serve on the Iron Throne until her selfish decisions catch up with her. The pregnant Queen promised that her army will march North to fight alongside the Starks and Targaryens during the Great War, but it was all a lie. Since Cersei has no intention of fighting the Army of the Dead, Jaime defies his sister to fulfil the promise to fight the Night King. Even without Jaime, Cersei still has Gregor Clegane (the Mountain) and the Lannister army at her command, and Qyburn serving as Hand to the Queen.
Despite not being loyal to the rest of House Lannister, Tyrion continues to prove his worth with other factions. He now serves as the Hand of the Queen to Daenerys by advising her on the quest for the Iron Throne. Tyrion is the one who brings his siblings together with his allies at the Dragonpit to agree to the truce. He travels back to the North fooled in thinking that his sister will follow through with her promises. With only three surviving members of House Lannister and no trust among them, their future in Westeros does not look good.
House Greyjoy Characters Who Are Still Alive In Game of Thrones Season 8
After the death of Balon Greyjoy, Euron emerges to control the Salt Throne. Theon and Yara greatly despise their uncle, which leads to much tension among House Greyjoy. That tension boils over after Theon and Yara pledge allegiance to Daenerys so Euron aligns with Cersei. He then attacks Yara's fleet, taking her hostage. Despite the Cersei's truce, she secretly plotted with Euron so he would use the Golden Company to betray Daenerys.
Yara is still being held hostage by her uncle so Theon's mission in the last season will be rescuing his sister. At the end of season 7, Theon attempts to gain supporters in the efforts of retrieving Yara. The men are reluctant until Theon earns their respect by defeating Harrag in a fight on the beach.
Page 2 of 2: Characters Killed Off and Houses Wiped Out