HBO is bringing Game of Thrones: The Complete Collection to audiences this holiday season, with plenty of exclusive bonus features. Although the series came to an end just a few weeks ago, and with no small amount of controversy or complaints amongst the viewership, it’s a good bet that even the most causal Game of Thrones fan would like to get their hands on the complete collection, if for nothing else than to have present it in the shadow box the set comes packaged in.
Aside from the collection’s unique packaging, fans will want to check out some the exclusive special features included in the collection, starting with the ‘Game of Thrones: Reunion Special’ that brings together the show’s enormous ensemble cast along with host Conan O’Brien, as they discuss the show’s impact and legacy on television. The set has even more to offer, as well, including some making-of documentaries, audio commentaries, deleted and extended scenes, and an interesting sounding compendium of Westeros history and lore presented as animated shorts.
The extras might be worth it for the die-hard Thrones fan, as anyone who watched the series likely has an HBO subscription and therefore has access to the series with the click of a button. If, however, some viewers canceled their subscription after the series finale, but would still like to watch the series at their leisure, it’s hard to pass up the lure of physical media. Check out some pics of the set along with a breakdown of the exclusive extras below:
Game of Thrones: The Complete Collection and Game of Thrones: The Complete Series on Blu-ray Bonus Features Include:
- Game of Thrones: Reunion Special: A reunion show shot live in Belfast with the cast, both past and present, hosted by Conan O’Brien and available exclusively on these complete series collections. The reunion special is assembled in segments focused on Houses Lannister, Stark, & Targaryen and concludes with the key players all onstage for their final reflections on the years they shared in Westeros and Essos.
- Bonus content and retail exclusive videos from previously released individual season box sets, totaling more than 15 hours of extra materials for fans to explore when they’ve finished watching the series.
Complete Series and Season 8 formats also exclusively feature:
- Game of Thrones: The Last Watch: A documentary featured on DVD in two parts by filmmaker Jeanie Finlay chronicling the making of the final season.
- When Winter Falls: Exclusive 30-minute featurette with showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, along with major stars and behind-the-scenes players, breaking down all that went into the colossal filming of the “Battle of Winterfell” in Season 8, Episode 3.
- Duty is the Death of Love: A compelling look at how the team behind Game of Thrones and its major stars, including Kit Harington, Peter Dinklage and Emilia Clarke, brought the show to its conclusion in the series finale, “The Iron Throne.”
- Audio Commentaries: 10 Audio Commentaries with cast and crew, including the show’s creators, Benioff and Weiss, on the final season.
- Deleted and Extended Scenes: 5 never-before-seen deleted or extended scenes from season 8.
- Histories and Lore: New animated pieces giving the history and background of notable season 8 locations and storylines.
Game of Thrones may have come to a contentious conclusion, but it still stands as one of the most influential series to ever air on TV. If nothing else, adding this set to a Blu-ray collection will help pass the time until the spinoff premieres.
Game of Thrones: The Complete Collection Blu-ray set will available to purchase on December 3, 2019.