This week’s Blu-ray breakdown consists of movies involving couples sleeping together, some butt-kicking martial arts action, dead preppy kids, little blue creatures in New York City, vampires, a pizza delivery guy, a superhero, and an idiot – basically like a family reunion (minus the superhero).
There are 36 films released on Blu-ray this week and we have listed 10 possible choices for you to add to your ever growing catalog of films. Below you will find the synopsis for each film, our score if we reviewed the film, as well as, the score from Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB – all to help you make the decision whether to purchase, rent or skip. Or you could just read our final verdict on each one and base your decision on that.
Let’s get to it…
Synopsis: When the evil wizard Gargamel chases the tiny blue Smurfs out of their village, they tumble from their magical world and into ours — in fact, smack dab in the middle of Central Park. Just three apples high and stuck in the Big Apple, the Smurfs must find a way to get back to their village before Gargamel tracks them down.
- Audio Commentary with Director Raja Gosnell
- Audio Commentary with Producer Jordan Kerner, VFX Supervisor Richard Hoover, and Writers J. David Stem, David N. Weiss, Jay Scherick, and David Ronn
- Deleted & Extended Scenes – Goat Man, Gargamel Throws Azrael Through Door, Gargamel Enters FAO Schwarz, Girl Talk — Extended, and Original Lullaby.
- The Smurfs – Comic Book to the Big Screen
- Smurf Speak – Meet the Cast
- Going Gargamel
- Blue-Pers – A brief gag reel that sadly consists of only two shots.
- Happy Music Montage – Scenes from the movie set to music.
- Progression Reels – Smurf-olution, Growing a Village: Generating Complexity for a Smurf-Sized World, Building and Lighting a CG Smurf, Image-Based Set Reconstruction and Lighting, and Anatomy of a Portal: Effects and Lighting.
- The Smurfs Fantastic Adventure Game
- Previews – Arthur Christmas, The Pirates! Band of Misfits, and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
VERDICT: Rent It (if you have young children)
Smallville Season 10
Synopsis: The last season of the cult CW television program, this season of Smallville finds young Clark Kent (Tom Welling) undergoing a final struggle to realize his destiny as costumed hero Superman.
- Commentaries on 2 episodes
- Unaired scenes
- Smallville: Coming Home featurette about the show’s 200th episode
- My Fathers, My Son featurette about Clark’s different fathers/son relationships
- “How Do We Do” music video
VERDICT: A must OWN for all fans of the show
Friends with Benefits
Synopsis: While trying to avoid the clichés of Hollywood romantic comedies, Dylan (Justin Timberlake) and Jamie (Mila Kunis) soon discover however that adding the act of sex to their friendship does lead to complications.
- A Pop-Up Trivia Track – Random trivia
- Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Will Gluck and Actors Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis
- Deleted Scenes – Superheroes on Hollywood Blvd, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Creative Meeting, GQ Party, Let’s Stay Friends, Shower Cap, Hollywood Tour, Princess and the Pony, Dylan Tries to Call Jamie, and Twin Pythons
- On Set with Friends with Benefits Cast
- In a Flash – Choreographing a Mob
VERDICT: Rent It (and watch it with a date)
30 Minutes or Less
Synopsis: Two fledgling criminals (Danny McBride & Nick Swardson) kidnap a pizza delivery guy (Jesse Eisenberg), strap a bomb to his chest, and inform him that he has mere hours to rob a bank or else.
- Picture-in-Picture Video Commentary with Director Ruben Fleischer and Actors Jesse Eisenberg, Aziz Ansari, Danny McBride, and Nick Swardson
- Blowing Up with the Cast & Crew of 30 Minutes or Less
- The Perfect Crime – Action and Comedy in 30 Minutes or Less
- Deleted Scenes – Christopher Fires and Then Rehires Nick, Nick Wakes Up Late/Rear View Mirror, Dwayne and Travis Raid the Fridge, Dwayne’s Dream Sequence, Nick Throws-Up at Side of Road, Nick and Chet Leave School/Chet Calls in Excuse, Chango F&(@$ Juicy, Nick Chases Chet, Dwayne Finds Major Wounded, and Vito’s Commercial
- Outtakes – Travis Thinks the Major is Jacked, Chet Tells Nick Worse Ways to Die, and Dwayne and Travis Talk Tanning Codes
VERDICT: Rent It
Tucker & Dale vs. Evil
Synopsis: Tucker (Alan Tudyk) and Dale (Tyler Labine) are two best friends on vacation at their dilapidated mountain getaway who are mistaken for murderous backwoods hillbillies by a group of obnoxious, preppy college kids. When one of the students gets separated from her friends, the boys try to lend a hand, but as the misunderstanding grows, so does the body count.
- Audio Commentary with Director Eli Craig and actors Tyler Labine and Alan Tudyk Making of Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil
- Tucker and Dale ARE Evil: The College Kids’ Point of View
- Storyboards – A remote-controlled gallery with 97 storyboard drawings.
- HDNet – A Look at Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil – A shorter version of the making-of documentary
- Theatrical Trailer
VERDICT: Buy It (and watch it over and over)
Our Idiot Brother
Synopsis: Every family has one: the sibling who is always just a little bit behind the curve when it comes to getting his life together. For sisters Liz (Emily Mortimer), Miranda (Elizabeth Banks) and Natalie (Zooey Deschanel), that person is their perennially upbeat brother Ned (Paul Rudd), an erstwhile organic farmer whose willingness to rely on the honesty of mankind is a less-than-optimum strategy for a tidy, trouble-free existence.
- Audio Commentary with Director Jesse Peretz
- Deleted & Extended Scenes – Ned Takes the Subway, Ned Waits for John, Ned in Prison, and Alternate Ending
- The Making of Our Idiot Brother
VERDICT: Buy It (and watch it with a sibling)
Synopsis: After one day together – July 15th, 1988, their college graduation – Emma (Anne Hathaway) and Dexter (Jim Sturgess) begin a friendship that will last a lifetime. For the next two decades, key moments of their relationship are experienced over several July 15ths in their lives. Somewhere along their journey, they realize what they were searching and hoping for had been there for them all along.
- Audio Commentary with Director Lone Scherfig
- Em and Dex Through the Years
- Anne Hatheway: Bringing Emma to Life
- The Look of One Day: Making a 20-Year Love Story, Creating Emma with Anne and Dexter’s Transformation
- Deleted Scenes
VERDICT: Rent It
The Art of Getting By
Synopsis: George (Freddie Highmore) is a lonely and fatalistic teen who’s made it all the way to his senior year without ever having done a real day of work, who is befriended by Sally (Emma Roberts), a beautiful and complicated girl who recognizes in him a kindred spirit.
- Audio commentary with director Gavin Wiesen
- New York Slice of Life featurette
- On Young Love featurette
- Fox Movie Channel featurette – In Character with Freddie Highmore
- HBO First Look – The Making of The Art Of Getting By
- Theatrical trailer
VERDICT: Rent It (if you’re bored)
Jackie Chan 4 Film Multi-Feature
The acrobatic, comedic, martial arts journeyman Jackie Chan has been making films for nearly half a decade with a filmography well over 100 films. Four of those films from the 80s and 90s are now together on one Blu-ray disc. Short on story but high on butt-kicking martial action with plenty of Chan’s trademark clown-style kung-fu mixed in these four films should satisfy most fans of Chan’s work.
- Operation Condor
- Operation Condor 2: The Armour Of God
- Jackie Chan’s Project A
- Jackie Chan’s Project A2
VERDICT: Not the strongest four films from Chan’s film vault but hardcore fans will want to own them.
From Dusk til Dawn Series Collection
Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino scored a cult hit with the first From Dusk til Dawn film telling a story about two psychopath brothers trapped in a vampiric bar with a vacationing family – after that the series became mostly forgettable. Still, having them all in one place might appeal to some people and the full length “making of” documentary Full-Tilt Boogie might interest some of the more entrenched fans.
- From Dusk Till Dawn
- From Dusk Till Dawn 2: Texas Blood Money
- From Dusk Till Dawn 3: The Hangman’s Daughter
- Full Tilt-Boogie
VERDICT: Fans of the entire From Dusk til Dawn series (those exist?) might want to pick this up – the rest of us will want to skip it.
Follow me Twitter (@Walwus) and tell me which movies you plan to own.
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!