Disney's Upcoming 2022 & 2023 Movies
Walt Disney Pictures is one of the biggest movie studios in the world, so it makes sense for them to plan out their release schedule for the next five years, from now through 2023. Unfortunately, they have so many projects in development that it's near impossible to figure out which movies will release when, and that doesn't even include all the ones that are releasing from Lucasfilm and Marvel Studios.
After J.J. Abrams' Star Wars: Episode IX hits theaters in December 2019, the Mouse House won't have any other Star Wars movie on the schedule, despite having multiple films in development from people such as Star Wars: The Last Jedi's Rian Johnson and Game of Thrones TV series creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. Any of the aforementioned untitled Disney live-action release dates could theoretically be reserved for one of those Star Wars movies; however, none of them are being held for Marvel, seeing as Marvel Studios has their own release dates carved out for the Marvel Cinematic Universe's Phase 4 and possibly Phase 5.
Aside from those projects, though, Disney has at least more than three dozen movies - both animation and live-action - in various stages of development. Some of those films were announced several years ago and are stuck in development hell, while others are continuing to progress smoothly behind the scenes. In either case,, though, it's difficult to tell exactly where they are in the development process, so any of the below release dates could be claimed by one of those movies.
- Untitled Pixar Animation - 3/18/22
- Untitled Disney Live Action - 5/27/22
- Untitled Pixar Animation - 6/17/22
- Untitled Disney Live Action - 7/8/22
- Untitled Disney Live Action - 10/7/22
- Untitled Disney Live Action - 11/4/22
- Untitled Disney Animation - 11/23/22
- Untitled Disney Live Action - 12/16/22
- Untitled Disney Live Action - 2/17/23
Again, the December release date may very well be removed and replaced with James Cameron's Avatar sequels. For December 2022, that would be Avatar 4. As for the rest, those release dates could be taken by virtually any movie. What's interesting, though, is that Disney only has one movie currently slated for 2023 - and it's a date they're fairly comfortable with. Of course, Disney will have more than one movie releasing in that year, but they just haven't thought that far ahead yet.
Considering that release dates are in a constant state of flux, especially with rival studios like Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures, Universal Pictures, Warner Bros. continuing to solidify their plans, some if not all of these dates may change down the line. Plus, it's possible that any of these dates may be occupied by 20th Century Fox films once the acquisition is complete. But, for now, it looks like Disney is preparing themselves to release five live-action movies, two Pixar movies, and one Disney Animation movie in 2022, with 2023 kicking off with another live-action film.
- Mulan (2020) release date: Mar 27, 2020
- Ralph Breaks the Internet/Wreck-It Ralph 2 (2018) release date: Nov 21, 2018
- Mary Poppins Returns (2018) release date: Dec 19, 2018
- The Lion King (2019) release date: Jul 19, 2019
- Frozen II (2019) release date: Nov 22, 2019
- Indiana Jones 5 (2021) release date: Jul 09, 2021
- Dumbo (2019) release date: Mar 29, 2019
- Aladdin (2019) release date: May 24, 2019
- Artemis Fowl (2020) release date: May 29, 2020
- Jungle Cruise (2020) release date: Jul 24, 2020