Considering The Dark Tower is set to hit theaters on July 28th, one would expect a trailer - or two - to have dropped by now, but all has been quiet with the ambitious Stephen King adaptation. A trailer has been rumored for months, but it was only recently that the first poster for the movie was even released.
Now the first footage has finally arrived. Only it's still not available to the public. During the Sony panel at CinemaCon in Las Vegas, a few minutes of the film were shown, primarily featuring Jake Chambers (Tom Taylor), The Man in Black (Matthew McConaughey), and Roland (Idris Elba). Fortunately, THR was on site and provided a breakdown so fans can get a taste of what they're in for whenever the first trailer finally drops.
- The opening footage showcases the wasteland, zeroing in on a door frame standing in the middle of nowhere.
- "The Man in Black fled across the Desert, and the Gunslinger followed.” appears in text on the screen as Roland appears.
- The Man in Black's skills/powers are abundantly clear as he catches bullets between his fingers and moves objects, like shattered glass, with his mind.
- Roland tells the Man in Black "I do not kill with my gun, I kill with my heart." The Man in Black catches his shot behind his back.
- We're then taken to New York city with the young Jake Chambers, who's having prophetic dreams of Roland and a Dark Tower, which will cause the death of billions if it falls.
- Jake tells his therapist about his crazy dreams, only to be told it's nothing more than a dream, but Jake thinks there's more to it.
- While exploring an abandoned building, Jake finds a portal to take him to Mid-World.
- He meets Roland and gives him a picture he drew of his dreams. Roland tells him his fears about the Tower are true, and the Man in Black will try to destroy it as long as he lives.
- Roland and The Man in Black are shown fighting during a slow-motion sequence.
- Roland is shown to be so proficient with his six shooters that he can shoot a man from a distance through several objects exclusively using his hearing.
The footage received a warm reception from everyone in attendance, so hopefully, that means an actual release of the first trailer is closer than ever, finally allowing fans of the franchise to get their first proper glimpse of this world.
- The Dark Tower (2017) release date: Aug 04, 2017