Directed, co-written and starring Sylvester Stallone, The Expandables is every 80s action movie fan's dream come true. Featuring a large cast of some of the most bad-ass character actors in the industry, Stallone's next project is set to debut next month.
But before that happens, they're putting on a show at Comic-Con 2010 where Screen Rant is reporting live. Check out our live coverage of Lionsgate's panel presentation for The Expendables.
The panel begins with our friends Harry Knowles of Ain't it Cool News doing a fantastic job of introducing the movie and its testosterone-infused cast. Starting with Terry Crews, who came on stage, stepped on the table and took off his shirt and showed off his pecs (a la Old Spice commercials).
- Joining Crews on stage is Steve Austin, Dolph Lundgren, Randy Couture and of course, Stallone himself
- Bruce Willis
- Stallone explains story about injuries and seriousness. He explains the dedication of his cast and gives the example of Statham where Stallone had a 62 year-old plane fixed up and asked Jason if he's stand on it while it goes down 200mph but he couldn't get insured, and Statham's response was "when do we start" and they did just that.
- If that wasn't enough, Steve Austin broke Stallone's neck and it resulted in 3 additional screws in his neck. Stallone explains that it was his fault though.
- Harry Knowles asked Stallone why he didn't go with 3D or with CGI and Stallone explains that it's too restrictive and that he wasn't to do it real and old school. The fans loved it and applaused.
- Terry Crews is extremely thankful for Stallone coming him to him and giving him a chance to be a part of it and help him become an action star. Insert another example of Crews' muscles. "The gunshow" as it were.
From here we moved onto the most amazing of clips, a clip they explained they were surprised they were even allowed to show. It was a pure action scene underground where Stallone fights Austin, Couture and Statham go knife and pistol crazy in close combat and Terry Crews finishes it all up with an auto-shotgun, taking out over a dozen enemies. Applause, laughs and excitement in every attendee in Hall H.
This panel is pure excitement and brings back "fun" to why we watch movies and why we love the 80s classics.
- The cast become regulars of the local hospitals and learned to know everyone by name.
- Randy Couture took pleasure in "breaking people" and the stunt men literally feared working with him
- They shot in Brazil because they were allowed to hurt people there while filming. He describes it as a "country of true extremes."
- Lundgren drops some serious spoilerish hints about his character. He worked for Sly's character in the movie but was on edge and was cut. Lundgrun's character didn't like that so you can imagine how that plays into the movie. There is however a twist in this relationship...
- One of the fan questions asked to Stallone if there were other characters they tried to get into the ensemble cast but "extenuating circumstances like insanity" that prevented Chuck Norris, Jean Claude Van Damme and Stevel Segal from being the movie. Or at least, that's how Stallone explains it to the laughter of the crowd.
Joining Sylvester Stallone in this epic cast are Jason Statham, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, Terry Crews, Mickey Rourke, Eric roberts, Randy Couture, Steve Austin and with cameos from Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger.
The Expendables hits theaters August 13, 2010.
Leave A Comment
Looking for an AD FREE EXPERIENCE on ScreenRant?Get Your Free Access Now!