Following the revelation that CBS personality Charlie Rose had been accused of sexual impropriety, the president of CBS announced on Tuesday that Rose has now been fired and will no longer be a part of the network. The 75-year-old Rose has been accused by 8 different women whose allegations date from between the late ‘90s to 2011.
Rose is just one of the latest in a slew of accusations that are coming out about many different figures in the entertainment industry right now. Though Harvey Weinstein, Kevin Spacey and Louis C.K are some of the biggest names everyone knows in regards to these scandals, new names are still coming out each week. Charlie Rose joins other recent scandals surrounding Arrowverse producer Andrew Kreisberg, One Tree Hill producer Mark Schwahn and Girls writer/producer Murray Miller.
In light of the accusations against Rose, CBS and PBS have elected to cut their ties with the longtime journalism figure. CBS president David Rhodes released a statement acknowledging the hard work that Rose has put in over the years, but going on to state that this still in no way excuses the kind of behavior that Rose is accused of engaging in. THR shared the details of Rhodes decision, including releasing the full statement of what the CBS president had to say, which you can read in part below:
“Despite Charlie’s important journalistic contribution to our news division, there is absolutely nothing more important, in this or any organization, than ensuring a safe, professional workplace—a supportive environment where people feel they can do their best work. We need to be such a place.
I’ve often heard that things used to be different. And no one may be able to correct the past. But what may once have been accepted should not ever have been acceptable.”
Before his firing, Rose also had some remarks about what the 8 women were saying about him. As reported by The Washington Post, Rose did express remorse for the distress he caused the women, but also did not accept full accountability for all that he was accused of. As you can read below, Rose believes that at least some of what he is said to have done is not factual:
“It is essential that these women know I hear them and that I deeply apologize for my inappropriate behavior. I am greatly embarrassed. I have behaved insensitively at times, and I accept responsibility for that, though I do not believe that all of these allegations are accurate. I always felt that I was pursuing shared feelings, even though I now realize I was mistaken.”
That admission to some extent of wrongdoing has been enough to cost Rose his career. Rose had already been suspended from CBS programming while the claims were investigated, but now his contract has been terminated and PBS said they would no longer distribute Rose’s show. In Rhodes’ full statement he makes it clear that CBS is committed to maintaining their credibility in the news world, and that they would be unable to do that while turning a blind eye to a problem within their own organization. Despite being disturbed by the allegations of these potential victims, Rhodes implores all of his staff to move forward at their best, both in their behavior as well as in their work, so that that is what their company will be recognized for.
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!