Captain America: Civil War recently wrapped production and while its high profile ensemble cast is well-known at this point, even down to who's fighting who in the conflict, much of the main plot line and story surrounding the new characters remains a mystery.
What we do know is that the film's adaptation of the Civil War story event from Marvel Comics is quite different than the source material. With only a dozen films to draw from there are significantly less characters available, and even less that can fit in a two-hour movie. But that doesn't mean there can't be a few surprises in a movie that already features more characters than any other Marvel Studios production.
There are many characters who would make great additions to Captain America 3 but some make more sense than others given what's in store for Phase 3 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe - a continuity that just got bigger with the addition of the Spider-Man universe thanks to Marvel's partnership with Sony Pictures. Before we get into what other Marvel characters we'd love to see make surprise appearances on screen next summer, let's recap who we know in the film, as revealed from reports, the first footage of the film played at Disney's D23 event, and the recently leaked Civil War concept art.
Team Iron Man [Pro-Registration]
- T'Challa a.k.a. Black Panther (Chadwick Boseman)
- Peter Parker a.k.a. Spider-Man (Tom Holland)
- James Rhodes a.k.a. War Machine (Don Cheadle)
- Natasha Romanoff a.k.a. Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson)
- Tony Stark a.k.a. Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.)
- Vision (Paul Bettany)
Team Captain America [Anti-Registration]
- Bucky Barnes a.k.a. The Winter Soldier (Sebastian Stan)
- Clint Barton a.k.a. Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner)
- Sharon Carter a.k.a. Agent 13 (Emily VanCamp)
- Scott Lang a.k.a. Ant-Man (Paul Rudd)
- Wanda Maximoff a.k.a. Scarlet Witch (Elizabeth Olsen)
- Steve Rogers a.k.a. Captain America (Chris Evans)
- Sam Wilson a.k.a. Falcon (Anthony Mackie)
- [Unknown Character - rumored to be Henry Peter Gyrich or Everett Ross] (Martin Freeman)
- Aunt May [rumored] (Marisa Tomei)
- Brock Rumlow a.k.a. Crossbones (Frank Grillo)
- Baron Zemo (Daniel Brühl)
- General "Thunderbolt" Ross (William Hurt)
Who We'd Like To See
We know the core teams of headline heroes, most of them familiar, some of them newly introduced for upcoming projects (Spidey & Black Panther) but as the beginning of Phase 3 and seemingly serving as the closest thing to an Avengers ensemble, we wouldn't be surprised if Captain America: Civil War establishes more groundwork for other Phase 3 movies, even if it that involves other new characters only making a cameo appearance.
We know Thor (Chris Hemsworth) is up in Asgard during this period of time and will not appear in the film, and despite Mark Ruffalo and Robert Downey Jr. both saying Bruce Banner/Hulk was going to be in the movie, his part from the original script was cut. That means no super-bruisers from the original Avengers team will appear and as a note, they didn't in the original Civil War comics either.
With that in mind, here are other characters that might make sense introducing in Captain America: Civil War...