"Welcome to the bloody first... You're a long way from Texas, farm boy."
The official reveal trailer for Call of Duty: WWII has released during the world premiere presentation hosted by publisher Activision and developer Sledgehammer Games in London where studios bosses Glen Schofield and Michael Condrey and several members of the cast spoke to the game's story, features, and goals.
Call of Duty: WWII is described as the game fans have been waiting for and the game Activision has been waiting to share with the world. Schofield promises that this is the best game he's ever worked in on his two and half decades in the industry.
"This Story Belongs to the World"
The theme of the presentation was to emphasize the focus on detail, scale, and a darker look at the real-life conflict of World War II and in terms of gameplay, going back to 'boots on ground' basics to capture that old school Call of Duty value that "no one fights alone," but at the same time delvering with new innovations.
"The team at Sledgehammer has poured their heart and soul into this game. No battle was too big. No detail was too small. From the painstaking history research to visiting each and every one of the game's real-life locations, to sweating the audio and visual details that get the era just right."
"The goal was to create the most immersive World War II universe ever."
"We wanted our longstanding fans to experience World War II like never before and to introduce this historic conflict to a whole new generation of players along the way."
All the behind-the-scenes interviews focus on getting the details right and delivering the best possible authenticity, and building a world that's "tonally dark, visually beautiful." As for the weapons and vehicles, expect familiar gear to what was in the original Call of Duty trilogy (i.e. M1 Garand and the M3 "Grease Gun"). Eric Hirshberg, Activision CEO:
“More than two and a-half years ago we made the decision to return this franchise to its roots, and Call of Duty: WWII does so in epic fashion. The team at Sledgehammer Games is delivering an authentic, gritty, cinematic experience that honors both the epic scale, and the human struggle of the greatest war the world has ever known. This game will let longtime fans experience World War II like never before, and will introduce this historic conflict to a whole new generation of gamers in the process.”
As for the cast of Call of Duty: WWII's story campaign, revealed and appearing on stage during the presentation were the following who spent 18 months working on the project together:
- Jeffrey Pierce plays 1st Lieutenant Joseph Turner
- Josh Duhamel plays Technical Sergeant William Pierson
- Jonathan Tucker plays Private First Class Robert Zussman
Call of Duty: WWII Multiplayer
Sledgehammer is saving the big reveal on Call of Duty: WWII's multiplayer for E3 2017 but emphasized today, again, the idea of boots on ground gameplay. So if you're sick of wall-running, double-jumping, and exo suits, you're in luck! As for some teasers of what's new:
- HEADQUARTERS Offering a robust social space dedicated to engagement off the frontlines, Headquarters paves the way for all-new avenues of Multiplayer interaction, recognition and awards unlike anything experienced in the franchise to date. a living space where fans can connect, compete, showoff outside of matches. A brief teaser was played revealing a military base camp with dozens and dozens of players walking around. It's a Destiny social hub like The Tower in Activision's other big shooter, Destiny.
- DIVISIONS A new way to engage in a player’s Multiplayer career - Divisions immerse players in the heroic journey of enlisting in the world’s most historic war. Choose from a variety of Divisions, including Infantry and Armored Divisions.
- WAR MODE - A new Multiplayer experience that immerses players in iconic World War II battles, where Allied and Axis clash in team-driven gameplay in the fight for strategic objectives. This Axis vs. Allies idea was teased as an asymmetrical mode.
Call of Duty: WWII Co-op
The co-op mode is an entirely new story, and leaks revealed it to be four-player. All Schofield would say about it today is that it follows the Third Reich's desperate attempt to create an army in the final stages of the war. The teaser image revealed a rather nasty looking Nazi zombie. So, Zombies mode confirmed, but with a story? The official:
Co-operative mode unleashes an original story featuring a dark new enemy in an experience full of unexpected, adrenaline-pumping moments. (to be revealed soon)
Call of Duty: WWII Release Date and Pricing
Call of Duty: WWII pre-orders are now available at participating retailers and includes access to the Private Beta, available first on PlayStation 4, scheduled for later this year. Call of Duty: WWII is available for pre-order in the following editions and yes, sadly, there is a DLC season pass:
- Base Edition and Digital Base Edition – Suggested Retail Price $59.99.
- Digital Deluxe Edition – Season Pass** and more, SRP $99.99.
- Pro Edition – Season Pass**, collectible SteelbookTM and more, SRP $99.99
**Season Pass purchasers receive 2018 Call of Duty: WWII Season Pass content. Season Pass content is not final, is subject to change, and may not include all downloadable content available for the game. Season Pass content may not be available in all countries, and pricing and release dates may vary by platform. Season Pass content should be downloaded from the in-game store only; do not purchase separately, or you will be charged again. Season Pass content may be sold separately.
Call of Duty: WWII takes the franchise back to its roots in a bold cinematic experience that captures the unforgettable heroism of the soldiers who fought together in a war that changed the world forever. Activision’s gripping new title is an honest portrayal of World War II from the perspective of the famed 1st Infantry Division, with an ensemble cast of global and diverse characters. Through stunning visuals and intense audio, players storm the beaches of Normandy on D-Day, march across France to liberate Paris and ultimately push forward into Germany in some of the most monumental battles of all-time.
There will be a private multiplayer beta this year.
Call of Duty: WWII releases November 3, 2017 for PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.
- Call of Duty: WWII (2017) release date: Nov 03, 2017