Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 is taking a page from playbooks of the Overwatch and Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege in doubling down on its playable multiplayer characters. Dubbed Specialists, you may recognize some of these warriors from Black Ops 3, but in this new multiplayer-focused game, they matter a lot more.
Multiplayer in Black Ops 4 has seen its main mode player counts drop to 5 vs. 5 and this time every player must choose a different specialist, basically locking into a role for that round of gameplay. There will be 10 specialists in total when Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 launches in October, and nine of them were showcased in the Black Ops 4 multiplayer trailer. At the community reveal event in LA last week however, where we got to go hands-on with the PC and PlayStation 4 versions of the game, costumes and details for all 10 were revealed.
Below is art, costume pieces, and details on abilities and equipment for the eight playable specialists of Call of Duty: Black Ops 4, and we'll have to wait and see on the remaining two. Note: attackers and defenders in all modes have access to the same specialists (unlike in Rainbow Six Siege where attack and defense have different selections).
"We actually dropped it down to 5v5… we feel like that’s the best. It makes the specialists really matter. It makes your team [composition] matter more and more because it’s not just a ton of people in there." - Treyarch senior producer Yale Miller on Black Ops 4 multiplayer.
Ajax is a tank, barreling his way through enemy strongholds and providing mobile cover to his team as they breach and clear through the battle space.
- Equipment: 9-bang - Tactical grenade that flashes and stuns. Can be cooked to detonate multiple times.
- Ability: Ballistic Shield - Durable transforming defensive shield with a built-in machine pistol.
Battery (Demo Expert)
High-explosive munitions are key to clearing out enemy entrenchments, and explosive destruction is Battery’s specialty.
- Equipment: Cluster Grenade - A grenade that sticks to surfaces and releases several smaller grenades.
- Ability: War Machine - Grenade launcher that fires bouncing grenades which detonate after a short time or by hitting an enemy directly.
In a critical push, Crash provides his team the additional strength and combat resources needed to overwhelm the enemy.
- Equipment: Assault Pack - Deploys ammo magazines that provide bonus score for taking down enemies. Available to everyone on the team.
- Ability: Tak-5 - Heals, boosts max health, and removes wounds for the user and up to four targeted allies. Works through walls.
Firebreak (Area Denial)
Firebreak is a room-clearing powerhouse, establishing a perimeter of area denial by harnessing the power of fire.
- Equipment: Reactor Core - Emits a damaging radiation field that wounds enemies, reducing their maximum health for a period of time.
- Ability: Purifier - Flamethrower that shoots a steady gout of flame, scorching enemies in close range.
Recon (Intel Operator)
Recon’s command of situational awareness makes him an indispensable member of any unit as he provides critical intel on the movements of the enemy.
- Equipment: Sensor Dart - Sensor equipment that reveals enemies within its proximity on the minimap. Visible to everyone on the team.
- Ability: Vision Pulse - Pulse the surrounding area to reveal enemies for a period of time. Visible to everyone on the team.