Big Mouth has returned to Netflix for season 3, so we've put together a guide to the voice cast behind the show's troubled characters, and how you may know them. Co-created by Nick Kroll, Adam Goldberg, Mark Levin, and Jennifer Flackett, the popular animated series goes all in with sexual humor about the coming-of-age experience.
In Big Mouth, a group of teens deal with all the excitement and horror that comes with growing up and having sexual feelings for other people. The series addresses relatable problems, and takes a surrealistic approach when depicting how wild thoughts can overtake one's mind. Big Mouth season 1 premiered in September 2017, and a second season released in October 2018. Big Mouth season 3 debuted on October 4, 2019.
Big Mouth features some big names in mainstream comedy, many of whom voice more than one character. Here's a rundown of the primary voice actors and the people (and/or monsters) they portray, along with where you've probably heard (or seen) them before.
Big Mouth’s Main Characters
Nick Kroll as Nick Birch: Big Mouth’s lead character, Nick Birch struggles with his self-image and sexual urges. Nick is voiced by Nick Kroll, an American actor best known for starring in the fantasy football-themed series The League, and for voice roles in the feature films Sausage Party and Sing. In Big Mouth, Kroll also voices Coach Steve Steve, Lola, Maurice the Hormone Monster, Rick the Hormone Monster, and several other characters.
John Mulaney as Andrew Glouberman: Nick’s Jewish best friend has a pear-shaped body and endures constant harassment from Maury. Former Saturday Night Live writer John Mulaney voices Andrew, along with the characters Babe the Blue Ox, Detective Florez, Grandpa Andrew, and Mint. In pop culture, Mulaney is known for his stand-up comedy routines, and for voicing Spider-Ham in Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. He currently works as a writer on Documentary Now!
Jessi Klein as Jessi Glaser: Big Mouth’s main female character is smart and sassy, but insecure about her body. Jessi is voiced by Jessi Klein, who previously developed numerous popular series for Comedy Central. Klein also produced and wrote for Inside Amy Schumer.
Jenny Slate as Missy Foreman-Greenwald: Andrew’s ex-girlfrfiend is a mixed-race character who isn’t that popular due to her bookish persona and maturity level. Missy is voiced by Jenny Slate, a former SNL cast member who has voiced characters in the films Zootopia and The Secret Life of Pets. Slate also voices Tammy Larsen in Bob’s Burgers and Pony Head in Star vs. the Forces of Evil. For Big Mouth, Slate voices the supporting characters Mirror Missy and Taffiny.
Jason Mantzoukas as Jay Bilzerian: A bisexual teenager, Jay Bilzerian struggles with his wants and needs. The character is voiced by Jason Mantzoukas, who previously portrayed Rafi in The League. Mantzoukas has recurring roles on the TV series Brooklyn Nine-Nine and The Good Place, and also portrayed The Tick-Tock Man in John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum. In Big Mouth, Mantzoukas also voices Guy Bilzerian and the ghost of Socrates.
Fred Armisen as Elliot Birch: Nick’s father is kind and loving but tells awkward stories. Fred Armisen voices Elliot. He’s best known for starring in both SNL and Portlandia, and for being the bandleader on Late Night with Seth Meyers. In Big Mouth, Armisen also voices Bob the Hormone Monster, Stavros, and the Ghost of Antonin Scalia.
Maya Rudolph as Connie the Hormone Monstress: Throughout Big Mouth, Connie the Hormone Monstress shows up when big events happen in the lives of young female characters. She’s voiced by former SNL cast member Maya Rudolph, who also voices Diane Birch, the Ghost of Elizabeth Taylor, and the Ghost of Whitney Houston.
Jordan Peele as the Ghost of Duke Ellington: Simply known as “Duke,” this Big Mouth character is trapped between Heaven and Hell, and remains at his death location in Nick’s home. In pop culture, Peele is best known for directing the films Get Out and Us. In Big Mouth, he also voices the pitbull Featuring Ludacris and several other characters.
Big Mouth’s Supporting Cast
- Carlos Alazraqui as Gustavo, a book character.
- Neil Casey as the student Lars and Detective Dumont.
- Jessica Chaffin as Shannon Glaser, Jessi's mother.
- Gary Cole as Matthew's veteran father.
- Andy Daly as Dr. Wendy Engle and the ghost of Harry Houdini.
- Jon Daly as Judd Birch, Nick's brother.
- Kat Dennings as Leah Birch, Nick's sister.
- Mark Duplass as Val Bilzerian, Jays brother.
- Nathan Fillion as himself.
- Rob Huebel as Mr. Terry Lizer, a teacher.
- Richard Kind as Marty Glouberman, Andrew's father.
- Julie Klausner as Cherry Marashina, Andrew's cousin.
- Jak Knight as DeVon, Devin's boyfriend.
- Heather Lawless as Jenna Bilzerian, Jay's mother.
- Natasha Lyonne as Suzette, a pillow.
- Seth Morris as Greg Glaser, Jessi's father.
- Thandie Newton as Mona, a hormone monstress.
- Gil Ozeri as Wiggles, a toy, and Brad, a couch cushion.
- Chelsea Peretti as Monica Foreman-Greenwald, Cellsea, and The Pill.
- Andrew Rannells as Matthew, a student.
- June Diane Raphael as Devin, a student.
- Craig Robinson as Nick's pubic hair (#2).
- Gina Rodriguez as Gina Alvarez, a soccer player.
- Paula Pell as Barbara Glouberman, Andrew's mother.
- Zachary Quinto as Aiden, a gay character.
- Paul Scheer as Kurt Bilzerian, Jay's brother.
- Jean Smart as the Depression Kitty, a cat.
- David Thewlis as Shame Wizard the Hormone Monsters' enemy.
- Michaela Watkins as Cantor Dina Reznick, Shannon's love interest.
- Joe Wengert as Caleb, a student, and Stan the Hormone Monster.
- Julie White as Kimberly, Matthew's mother.
- Kristen Wiig as Jessi's genitalia.
- Ali Wong as Ali, a pansexual student.
Big Mouth’s Guest Stars
- David Cross as Skip Glouberman, Andrew's uncle.
- Judd Hirsch as Lewis Glouberman, Andrew's grandfather.
- Carol Kane as Menopause Banshee.
- Retta as the Ghost of Duke Ellington's mother.
- Rob Riggle as Colonel Adderall.
- Martin Short as Gordie, a meta-Netflix character.
- Queer Eye's "Fab Five" as themselves.
- Wanda Sykes as the Ghost of Harriet Tubman.