[Check out our full analysis of the Batman V Superman Comic-Con trailer]
Two years back, Zack Snyder came to Comic-Con 2013 and announced an ambitious follow-up to his successful, albeit divisive, Superman reboot Man of Steel. Since that time, we've learned a lot about Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice - including how the Dark Knight intends to fight the Man of Steel - but many details and questions remain. The Batman V Superman teaser took a restrained approach - providing a glimpse into the state of our world in the aftermath of the Kryptonian invasion (and devastation of Metropolis) without spending too much time on the titular heroes, not to mention the other Justice League members that could cameo.
Following a crowd-pleasing snippet at Comic-Con 2014, featuring a rainy stare down between Batman and Superman, the bar was high for Snyder's last SDCC prior to Batman V Superman's release in March 2016. Fortunately, the filmmaker delivered with another buzz-worthy Hall H presentation.
You can check out the Batman V Superman Comic-Con banner, below:
Currently, the Suicide Squad footage is (officially) exclusive to SDCC Hall H attendees but Warner Bros has released the Batman V Superman trailer. NOTE: We will not be posting any leaked video of the Suicide Squad footage - it is our policy to wait for the official release.
In attendance for the Batman V Superman panel: Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Jesse Eisenberg, Jeremy Irons, Holly Hunter and Gal Gadot.
Footage Description (trailer is 3 minutes, 11 seconds long):
- Holly Hunter (playing a senator) reflects on the destruction of Metropolis: "Today is a day for truth. The world needs to know what he stands for. That kind of power is dangerous. Let the record show that this city holds him responsible."
- The battle of Metropolis is what causes Batman to come out of retirement. The teaser features video of Superman and Zod's fight from Bruce Wayne's perspective - watching Wayne Tower collapse.
- Bruce approaches a dilapidated Wayne Manor, holding a news clipping: "You let your family die" in Joker-like writing. Robin suit hanging in the bat cave with "The Jokes on you Batman" scrawled on the chest. Bruce training (and opening the Batsuit vault).
- Superman: "This Bat vigilante is a one-man reign of terror."
- To Superman, Lois Lane: "This something, it's all some people have, it's all that gives them hope." Martha Kent: "People hate what they don't understand Clark. Be their hero, be their angel, be their monument, be anything they need you to be. Or be none of it, you don't owe this world a thing. You never did."
- Lex Luthor quotes the "Devils come from the sky" line to Holly Hunter's senator. Luthor has General Zod's body - and shiny green kryptonite.
- Batman: "Twenty years in Gotham. How many good guys are left? How many stayed that way? He has the power to wipe out the human race, and I must destroy him."
- Two brief scenes of Wonder Woman fighting - as well as sizzle reel footage of Batman and Superman.
Other details from the panel:
- Snyder: "Batman V Superman is Not The Dark Knight Returns"
- Gotham and Metropolis are sister cities, like Oakland and San Francisco - but Gotham is the "lower class city."
- Batman Mech Suit is for self preservation, not an enhancement to his own strength. It buys him time. Snyder: "He's going to get pummeled like a piñata."
- Gal Gadot on Wonder Woman: "I've been given a wonderful opportunity to show the strong, beautiful side of women. I feel very privileged."
Hopefully, Warner Bros. will release an official version of the Suicide Squad footage that we can share with readers in the coming days. We'll update this post with anything official!
Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice will be in theaters on March 25th, 2016; Suicide Squadon August 5th, 2016; Wonder Woman – June 23rd, 2017; Justice League – November 17th, 2017; The Flash – March 23rd, 2018; Aquaman – July 27th, 2018; Shazam – April 5th, 2019; Justice League 2 – June 14th, 2019; Cyborg – April 3rd, 2020; Green Lantern – June 19th, 2020.
Source: Warner Bros.