The DC Extended Universe will kick off in a big way next year, starting with Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice in the spring, and continuing with the villain team-up film, Suicide Squad, in the fall. After that, we have years of DC Comics movies to look forward to, introducing heroes like Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Cyborg to the big screen for the first time, as well as some offering fans big event films like Justice League 1 & 2 and the supernatural themed Justice League Dark.
In the midst of this massive superhero universe rollout, there's been vague info on when the two primary staples of the DCEU - Batman and Superman - might once again grace movie screens in their own respective solo films. It seems like it could be 2020 before we'll see Man of Steel 2 and The Batman reboot; and while we've heard lots of plot rumors about the Superman sequel, it's only today that we're hearing some first rumored details about the Batman reboot.
JoBlo has dropped an exclusive about the supposed plot details of the Batman solo movie reboot. Here's a bullet point list of the major stuff:
- Red Hood is still a priority character for DC/WB.
- The storyline will involve Jason Todd (former Robin) returning from the dead and framing Batman as a crazed vigilante who's finally snapped. Red Hood will (as in animated and comic book versions) use his assault on Gotham's underworld to try and draw Batman and the Joker into a showdown. (Yes, Joker will be a major player in the film).
- Jason Todd will be the second Robin; Dick Grayson is the first and will allegedly be referenced as Nightwing in Batman v Superman. Nightwing won't actually appear onscreen until this Batman solo film. (This is a big point of interest, given the rumors we've heard about Dick Grayson in the DCEU.)
- The Batman Solo Film will essentially be the DCEU version of Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Red Hood = Winter Soldier).
- Batman v Superman and/or Suicide Squad could have a Jason Todd / Red Hood cameo.
This rumor raises a lot of intriguing possibilities - especially when taken into consideration with what we know so far about these DC movies:
- If Under the Red Hood is indeed the storyline for this Batman solo film, it confirms what Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad trailers have implied about this new continuity for the Dark Knight: namely that the movies are incorporating the "Death in the Family" comic storyline where Joker beating Jason Todd to death (only for the former Robin to later be resurrected) leaves Batman traumatized - and maybe explains why Leto's Joker needed those new silver teeth he sports.
- While Suicide Squad will introduce him, and Batman v Superman will feature him in cameo, Leto's Joker is really being primed for this Batman solo movie.
- The proposed storyline adds a nice detective story element to the proceedings - an important aspect of the character that we haven't seen fully explored in live-action Batman films to date.
- It's a nice Noir action piece in set in a very specific locale - basically the formula Ben Affleck used to make successful films out of Gone Baby Gone and The Town. So Affleck directing this particular Batman flick seems like a perfect pairing.
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice opens on March 25, 2016, followed by Suicide Squad on August 5, 2016; Wonder Woman on June 23, 2017; Justice League Part One on November 17, 2017; The Flash on March 23, 2018; Aquaman on July 27, 2018; Shazam on April 5, 2019; Justice League Part Two on June 14, 2019; Cyborg on April 3, 2020; and Green Lantern on June 19, 2020. The Superman and Batman solo films have release dates TBD.
Leave A Comment
Looking for an AD FREE EXPERIENCE on ScreenRant?Get Your Free Access Now!