Actors Confirmed for the Reshoots
It looks as though the actors were originally told additional photography would be conducted during fall and winter this year, with concrete dates only recently assigned. So far, precious few actors have been confirmed as part of the reshoot process, but we should expect this list to grow exponentially over the next few weeks. The current confirmations are:
- Robert Downey Jr.: There's an important clue in Robert Downey Jr.'s schedule - he's not due to begin work on Sherlock Holmes 3 until after the Avengers 4 reshoots. Gwyneth Paltrow confirmed he was on set in September when she posed outside his "base camp" in a photo released on Instagram.
- Chris Evans: Back in March, Chris Evans revealed that the Avengers 4 reshoots would mark the end of his time as Captain America. Set photos have confirmed that the actor is on set, and he's teased that he's back to a classic look.
- Karen Gillan: Karen Gillan revealed that her character has "unfinished business with daddio," an amusing way of announcing her return for the reshoots.
- Chris Hemsworth: Hemsworth confirmed on social media that he was headed back to Atlanta for reshoots in September. He didn't stay long, though.
- Scarlett Johansson: The first set photos from the reshoots revealed that Johansson has been called in for some scenes.
- Gwyneth Paltrow: Paltrow took to social media to reveal that she's back in Atlanta.
- Jeremy Renner: Renner has confirmed that he's on set for the reshoots, and one set photo has showed him bloodied and bruised.
- Paul Rudd: An early batch of set photos showed Paul Rudd suited up as Ant-Man, shooting alongside Evans and Johansson.
- Benedict Wong: Although Wong only made a minor appearance in Avengers: Infinity War, it seems he's set to return for the sequel. The actor has revealed that he's been on-set for the reshoots.
- The Guardians of the Galaxy Cast: While doing the rounds promoting Avengers: Infinity War, Zoe Saldana was asked about how emotional it was saying goodbye to everyone when filming ended. She explained that she was fine with it, because she knew the Guardians crew "have to all come back, at some point this fall, and finish up... the fourth installment of Avengers." That comment raised a few eyebrows, given her character Gamora was killed off in Avengers: Infinity War. Dave Bautista recently confirmed that he'll be part of the reshoots too, although he suggested he'd only be on set for a couple of days.
- Tessa Thompson: Although her presence at the reshoots hasn't been confirmed, Tessa Thompson - a.k.a. Valkyrie - was briefly present in Atlanta in September, at the same time as Chris Hemsworth. It seems likely some Asgardian scenes were being filmed.
Avengers 4 was "Reshooting" During Principal Photography
Surprisingly, though, it's entirely possible Marvel began their "reshoots" a long time ago - during principal photography. Speaking as part of a panel at ACE Comic Con in Seattle, Elizabeth Olsen revealed that the Russo brothers tend to "edit as we go." As she explained, "If they know that we have to reshoot something, that was like two weeks ago. They are so on top of it. We were doing reshoots and shooting at the same time. We'd have these like splinter sets that they would build instead of building the whole location." This was true for Avengers: Infinity War, with part of the Edinburgh battle reshot in Atlanta; it's highly probable the Russos followed a similar pattern with Avengers 4.
Such an approach makes perfect sense, given the sheer number of schedules involved in the production of Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers 4. It would be easier to reshoot a scene when an actor was already in Atlanta than to reschedule for fall.
We'll keep you updated on those Avenger 4 reshoots as they get underway, hopefully revealing just a little bit more about the movie through set photos and behind-the-scenes peeks.
- Captain Marvel (2019) release date: Mar 08, 2019
- The Avengers 4 / Avengers: Endgame (2019) release date: Apr 26, 2019
- Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019) release date: Jul 02, 2019