As the cast and crew of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 have been making the rounds premiering Sony's big summer blockbuster in UK markets, the resulting press interviews have revealed interesting tidbits about both the film, and the future of the Spider-Man franchise. After Amazing Spider-Man 3 in 2016, we'll be getting some villain-centric spinoff films centered around Spidey's nemesis Venom, and the supervillain team known as The Sinister Six. Needless to say, there's been a lot of buzz (and curiosity) about how Sony and the Spider-Man movie team will structure these villain-centric films.
Of course, along with deeper questions like narrative and themes, we have the usual comic book movie hangups to get over - namely which characters from the source material will be featured in the films, and who will play them. Today we add yet another piece to the Sinister Six puzzle; producers of ASM2 recently hinted at a strong lineup of characters for the roster - but will one of those characters be female?
Check out what Moviepilot found out when speaking to longtime Spider-Man franchise producer, Matt Tolmach:
So, if the possibility is there for a female Sinister Six member - who would it be? My guess? Black Cat.
Here's why I'm betting on Felicia Hardy to make an appearance in this Amazing Spider-Man continuity:
- Amazing Spider-Man 2 co-stars up and coming actress Felicity Jones (Like Crazy) in a role that has been almost totally underplayed in the marketing of the film, and (at the time of writing this) is currently listed on IMDb as "Felicia Hardy," Black Cat's alias.
- The actress herself has been coy about the Felicia Hardy connection in interviews - as has director Marc Webb.
- The Green Goblin and Black Cat have been the biggest character rumors all throughout ASM2's production - and one them (Goblin) has since been revealed. The other may soon be as well.
- Jones seems like way too much upcoming talent to waste on a small side role in one film. Her casting speaks to bigger future plans.
- Black Cat would be a suitable replacement for Kraven the Hunter, a fan-favorite in The Sinister Six; she'd also be a character suited for future solo or spinoff opportunities.
- Black Cat's thief-to-hero comic book mythos fits in line with the sort of sympathetic villain producers have described in their vision of a Sinister Six movie.
- This is not the first time we've heard of the Amazing Spider-Man franchise getting a female villain character.
Hardcore fans may turn on me regarding point #5, but here's the thing: Kraven's skills as a hunter and tracker make him interesting and valuable to a Sinister Six squad, yes, but his backstory and origin are heavy, and the character's connections to Spider-Man mythos run deep. In other words: it could take up time trying to introduce him.
Black Cat, however, is a character whose animal-themed name and power fit right into elements of the Amazing Spider-Man movies that have been borrowed from the Ultimate Marvel comic books. In the past she's had cat-like abilities (albeit through supernatural means) - so one Oscorp feline gene-splice later, Felicia Hardy could be part cat. And just like that, you'd have your Kraven substitute.
Of course, sticking closer to the comics and using, say, a female Dr. Octopus could work... but would they work as well as a temptress like Hardy, who can make life difficult for Peter Parker on BOTH sides of the mask?
(Photo Credits: Lady Octopus by Teri Minx@DeviantArt)
A team of crooks having a honeypot character is never a bad idea - and so far, female characters like Black Widow have stolen the show in these ensemble team-up films. Sony has already been forward-thinking, demographically, by casting Jamie Foxx as Electro - it wouldn't hurt to lock up that female demographic with a compelling lady anti-hero/villain in the franchise. Depending on how the Gwen Stacy situation plays out in ASM2, having Spidey meet a new costumed female adversary in Amazing Spider-Man 3 would be a good way to develop that film, a Black Cat character, and future Sinister Six movie ties, all at once.
Would you like to see a female character (or version of a character) included in the Sinister Six movie? If so, which character - if not, what lineup of villains WOULD you like to see?
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 opens in theaters on May 2nd, 2014, followed by The Amazing Spider-Man 3 on June 10th, 2016, and then another Spider-Man project (possibly Sinister Six) on May 4th, 2018.
More Great Articles
Leave A Comment
Looking for an AD FREE EXPERIENCE on ScreenRant?Get Your Free Access Now!