New York Comic Con was definitely amped to be the first to see new footage from season 2 of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - not to mention meet and greet the cast.
We also got a surprise bonus in the form of the first ever footage from the S.H.I.E.L.D. companion series, Agent Carter!
- Marvel's head of TV Jeph Loeb took the stage and remarked how different it is this year (bigger audience and busier schedule!).
- Loeb got the crowd ramped with some good ol' San Diego rivalry - with a surprise appearance form Joe Quesada - who is apparently sitting directly in front of me. Yep.
- Loeb praises the showrunners and production of the series - and teases us with what we'll be seeing - and what the security men ('They're not HYDRA, they're Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.) will do if we record anything.
- Loeb asks if we enjoyed season 1. (Loaded question.) He asks what we learned about season 1 - some guy yells "Ward's HYDRA!" Loeb responds "ANYONE can be HYDRA!" and opens his sweater to reveal the enemy logo - OUT WALKS AGENT COULSON! (Clark Gregg). The crowd all start chanting "Coulson! Coulson! Coulson!" It's deafening.
- Clark Gregg: "It's good to be alive." More crowd roar.
- Loeb praises Coulson for AoS' existence - and laments all the fan hate when Coulson was killed. He runs down Coulson's movie appearances: 4 and 2 one-shots. (Clark Gregg jokes, "That they know of. Bad joke, bad joke.")
- Clark Gregg explains how Joss Whedon told him he could come to NYCC - because he has to figure out the HYDRA problem; what Coulson's carving, and a bunch of stuff we'll see in Avengers: Age of Ultron.
- Gregg thanks NY for being the place where he first came back to life - praises NYCC - and thanks fans for 'riding with' Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Then he asks Loeb if we can see something we haven't seen before.
- ...That surprise is... a preview of Tuesday night's ep.
While we won't SPOIL the next episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. for you, we'll just say this: season 2 continues to improve - bigger better action, and more heartfelt team drama that actually feels heartfelt. New cast members continue to shine - and old cast members continue to get put to better use. (And there's a dance number!) The episode was directed by Mortal Kombat Legacy webseries helmer, Kevin Tancharoen - and it definitely shows!
After that, Clark Gregg danced onstage and asked for more - an Agent Carter preview! That they just shot on Monday!
The clip showed Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell) and Howard Stark (Dominic Cooper) reuniting on a dark pier. Stark fetched Carter by way of his butler Jarvis (James D'Arcy) - who got punched for approaching Carter in a dark alley. Howard gives Peggy a powerful device - before hopping in a speed boat off on some mission. Carter takes a card from Jarvis, whom Howard has dispatched to aid her whenever needed.
Jarvis asks Carter what she is up to for the rest of the night - her answer? "Now I go to work." Cut to Agent Carter battling it out with some slick-suited rogue in a dilapidated apartment. In the end, the rogue gets tossed right out the window.
On the whole, Agent Carter captures a historical part of the Marvel universe perfectly, with an appropriate period look, but that fun and fantastical Marvel feel. The three actors we saw in that short clip speak volumes about the quality of the show's casting.
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. airs Tuesdays @ 9/8c on ABC. Agent Carter will premiere in early 2015.
Leave A Comment
Looking for an AD FREE EXPERIENCE on ScreenRant?Get Your Free Access Now!