The Summer 2015 TV Season is now over halfway completed, which is why many television networks are starting to gear up for their Fall 2015 lineups. The first step in that process is acknowledging the best of the best in primetime television from last year’s season, with the 67th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards show.
Andy Samberg (currently starring on Brooklyn Nine-Nine) will host the 2015 Primetime Emmy Awards ceremony this September, from the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles. A live webcast was held this morning with 2014 Primetime Emmy-winner Uzo Aduba (Orange is the New Black) and multiple Emmy-nominee Cat Deeley (So You Think You Can Dance) reading off all the nominees vying for the big prizes in 2015. Read on for the full list of nominations.
One of the big news items concerning the 2015 Emmy announcement is that, after three seasons, Orphan Black’s Tatiana Maslany was finally able to land a much deserved nomination for Best Lead Actress. A long time coming, odds are that the Academy didn’t want to risk another year of bad press by snubbing the actress and her work. Also in the category is Empire's Taraji P. Henson, whose nomination could have gone either way, but thankfully swung in her favor. Meanwhile, on the comedy side for Best Actress, Amy Schumer extended her 2015 winning streak by landing a nomination for her work on the Comedy Central series Inside Amy Shumer.
Also, while Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and Transparent both found themselves in possession of nominations for Best Comedy Series, Jane the Virgin sadly did not despite major buzz coming off the 2015 Golden Globes (where lead Gina Rodriguez won an award). The biggest non-surprise was that, in the best drama category, we once again have a year where not a single broadcast show made the list - not even worthy contenders like Empire and The Good Wife. Whether or not television’s oldest institution can one day find itself back on top from an awards perspective is still a coin flip at this point.
For the list of categories announced this morning, check out the list below (to see what else made the cut, click here):
Better Call Saul
Game of Thrones
House of Cards
Orange Is The New Black
Parks & Recreation
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Lead Actor in a Drama Series
Lead Actress in a Drama Series
Taraji P. Henson
Lead Actor in a Limited Series or Movie
Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie
Lead Actor in a Comedy
Anthony Anderson Blackish
William H. Macy
Lead Actress in a Comedy
Other 2015 Primetime Emmy nominations worth highlighting include:
- The Knick - Steven Soderbergh for directing season one.
- The Americans - Joshua Brand for writing the season three episode "Do Mail Robots Dream Of Electric Sheep?".
- Key & Peele, Inside Amy Schumer, Drunk History, and Portlandia all landed nominations for Best Sketch/Variety Show.
- Daredevil - nominated for Main Title, Sound Editing, and Outstanding Special Visual Effects. Nothing for Best Stunts, though.
- Gotham - Nominated for Sound Editing, Production Design, Outstanding Special Visual Effects in a Supporting Role, and Outstanding Costumes For A Contemporary Series, Limited Series or Movie
- The Flash and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. were both nominated for Best Visual Effects.
- Jane The Virgin - nominated for Outstanding Narrator. (Yes, this is a real category.)
The 67th Primetime Emmy Awards show airs Sunday, September 20th at 8/7c on Fox.