Welcome to another Weekend Movie News Wrap Up.
This week we feature news on: Val Kilmer and 5O Cent in Streets of Blood, Brett Ratner’s The Incredible Shrinking Man, Robert Rodriguez’s Barbarella, Battlestar Galactica’s Ronald D. Moore to write a big screen Sci-Fi trilogy and see what Eva Mendes looks like in Frank Miller’s The Spirit.
So here we go…
1. Sharon Stone, Dylan McDermott and Brian Presley will join Val Kilmer and 50cent in Streets of Blood, which was previously titled Microwave Park. – Variety
Variety states that :
“‘Streets’ centers on the relationship between two police officers dealing with the lawlessness of New Orleans in the post-Katrina environment.”
The film will be directed by Charles Winkler. It starts shooting next month.
If Kilmer’s in it – I’m interested.
2. Brett Ratner is in talks to direct The Incredible Shrinking Man. Eddie Murphy is currently attached to star in the remake of the 1957 film. – Hollywood Reporter
The film is about a
“Las Vegas magician who is put under a spell that causes him to shrink. He must find a way to reverse the spell before he gets so small that he “disappears.”
Much like Murphy’s career, don’t you think?
I quite like Ratner – check out After The Sunset with Pierce Brosnan… it’s great. However, Murphy hasn’t been funny since Bowfinger.
3. Despite reports to the contrary Rose McGowan is still set to star in Robert Rodriguez’s remake of Barbarella.
The word on the street was that Universal Pictures wanted the budget slashed or the main part recast with somebody with a bigger fanbase. – MTV
“(It) was really irritating because I know all the people over there and obviously it wasn’t true. It was very malicious and there was no proof. Oftentimes these things have basis in truth but this didn’t. I have contracts to prove it.”
It kind of helps that she’s going out with the director!
4. Tom Cruise’s United Artists has signed Ronald D. Moore to write an original sci-fi trilogy for the studio. The man behind Battlestar Galactica previously worked with Cruise on Mission: Impossible 2. No word on whether Thomas Cruise Mapother IV will star in the franchise, but if it’s good I wouldn’t be too surprised… he needs a new franchise. – Reuters
5. Check out Eva Mendes in The Spirit. – Yahoo movies
The Spirit opens on 16 January, 2009
That’s it for this week.
See you at the movies!