It’s Sunday, I have my coffee – so it must be time for the Weekend Move News Wrap Up. This week we feature news on : James Mangold’s The Archive, who might be starring in Escape From New York, the status of Conan, who might be swashing buckles with Russell Crowe in Nottingham and we see if Tarantino’s Inglorious Bastards will ever see the light of day.
1. Walk The Line and Copland director James Mangold will helm The Archive for Universal Pictures. The David Auburn penned time travel thriller will be produced by Scott Struber and Cathy Konrad – Mangold’s producer and wife. I wonder who wears the pants in that house?
2. Might Josh Brolin be stepping into Kurt Russell’s eye patch for the remake of Escape From New York ?
The remake was originally set to star Gerard Butler, but the Scot dropped out when Len Wiseman was replaced by Brett Ratner. Ratner is no longer attached to the project. Brolin’s not a bad choice – but why remake?
Hollywood – here’s a thought – give Kurt Russell and John Carpenter $50 million to make a third film in the series. It’ll do okay in theatres – but make a killing on DVD.
3. Thomas Dean Donnelly and James Oppenheimer are currently writing a second draft of Conan for Nu Image/Millennium Films. No director is attached yet, but once the script is in decent shape expect it to be shopped around the talent agencies. Apparently the producers of the film are quite excited about the film after the success of Age Of Conan: Hyborian Adventures. What a title!
4. Forget Christian Bale, apparently Russell Crowe wants Control star Sam Riley to play Robin Hood in Nottingham. Riley played Joy Division’s Ian Curtis in the music biopic. Control was actually shot in Nottingham, England. This is all speculation at the moment, but Latino Review got the scoop.
Source: Latino Review
5. Word on the street – well, the Internet is that Quentin Tarantino’s ever gestating Inglorious Bastards will be two films. The film is a loose remake of Enzo Castellari’s 1970’s Dirty Dozen-esque action film. Tarantino recently interviewed the director for the films upcoming DVD and let the details slip.
Over the years everyone including Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, Adam Sandler, Tim Roth, Samuel L. Jackson, John Travolta, Vic, Bruce, Jamie, Heath, Kofi and myself have been all been mooted for parts in the film.
We will see if it ever comes to pass.
Source: Ain’t It Cool
Well, that’s all folks for this week.
See you at the movies!