Let’s briefly go through a bunch of the characters and where they left off.
- Eggs: Met his end after he lost control after realizing all the things he had done while under Maryann’s control. He went crazy on Andy and got shot by Jason in the head during the process
- Tara: She’s a mess and with Eggs dying near the end, multiply her usual emotions.
- Jason: While naive, cocky and annoying, did have one pretty funny moment and that was his reaction to seeing Maryann’s dead body on the ground after Sam ripped her heart out.
- Andy: Deputy Andy’s no longer drinking and he’s got his badge back – he’s just bitter as hell as no one in the town remembers the horrible things they did, but he won’t forget.
- Sam: I feel real bad for Sam. He’s the true hero in all of this and the only one that seems to make sense all of the time. He is trustworthy, and doesn’t have any bad intentions. Yet he’s the one who always gets the shaft; parents abandoned him, Sookie never chose him, the one girl he met like him was killed, he had to sacrifice himself for the town only to have no one know what he did.
- Jessica: It was nice at the end to see Bill and her finally get along and understand each other after all that’s happened. It’s too bad she took a 180 after that and the last scene we got with her was her attacking some dude at the truck stop.
- Hoyt: He went to the Compton house to bring flowers and mend his relationship with Jessica – she was busy feasting on some trucker elsewhere.
- Bill: Back in romantic form, with no Eric to interfere. He bought a pretty dress for Sookie and set up the perfect night for her and to pop the big question. Too bad he instead got Sookie being all dumb and to top it off, he got kidnapped!
- Eric: The popular character had a prominent role this season but was surprisingly absent in the finale other than his one scene with the Queen which sets up a plot thread for next season.
- Sookie: By the time she finally made up her mind that she wanted to marry Bill, he was kidnapped and her next mission is to find him.
- Maryann: Dead!
- Lafayette: Is back to normal and working at Merlotte’s bar. He is still selling V on the black market though for Eric.
- Terry: Terry got a larger role this season as well and now he’s hooking up with Arlene and getting along with her kids. I like Terry and he was a pretty funny zombie main henchman for Maryann.
- Bud: The soft-spoken sheriff has re-hired Andy as a deputy. I wonder what issues they’ll have to deal with next season…
- Sophie-Anne: The queen is selling her blood. Why?
Quick Thoughts On The Season
Overall for the season, the pacing was off and the slow-to-develop Maryann storyline wasn’t really the good part of the season. It was the vampires, notably the different groups of them we met, Godric, Eric and even the Queen who finally showed some life (get it, she’s dead!) in her scene with Eric.
Luckily, this episode did clean most of that up but a lot of it I could have done with out. I still love watching the show and characters in it regardless, and I look forward to the new storylines we get next year.