[WARNING: This article contains potential SPOILERS for Transformers: The Last Knight.]
There have been a few teases about what fans can expect from Transformers: The Last Knight, though very little of what’s been revealed has to do with the film’s actual plot. There’s been a lot of speculation as a result, including the idea that the story would feature a battle to save Earth from Unicron (the story told in the animated Transformers: The Movie.
But new rumors have emerged, detailing key plot points that, if true, will tell a vastly different story than fans are probably expecting. It’s a different threat that’s on the way, and it isn’t your typical alien menace. According to the rumors, a major clue may be hiding in the film’s title and logo.
The rumor comes from JoBlo, claiming a scoop that is so hard to believe, it actually might seem accurate. not to say that previous movies putting the entire planet in jeopardy were “believable,” but… well, see for yourself:
- Optimus Prime return to Cybertron to find the planet dead, and learns he’s the one to blame for it. To bring it back to life he’ll need a mysterious artifact that – we hope you’re sitting down – is on Earth.
- The artifact is connected to Merlin, the sorcerer mentor to King Arthur in the legendary story. Merlin gained his magic through a visiting Transformer, not the first time the race has dabbled in altering human history (the site speculates that the artifact could be the mythical sword Excalibur, hence a sword featured in the film’s key art).
- The film picks up where the previous movie left off, with Optimus Prime in space; Optimus is the main Transformers character, however
- Bumblebee will take a bigger role while Optimus (presumably) seeks out Cybertron, along with Hound, Crosshairs, Drift, the Dinobots and “mini-dinobots” operating out of the South Dakota badlands.
- Megatron returns (again) as the villain.
Many of these plot points wouldn’t be too hard to guess, since they follow up on the previous film’s plot and provide a reason to bring Optimus Prime back to Earth. Giving the newly-redesigned Bumblebee a leadership role makes sense, too, since he’s getting his own spinoff film soon. From here things get a bit more ‘international’… and fantastical:
- New Transformers of English origin will be included, including an Aston Martin named “Cogman,” and a Vespa named “Squeaks.”
- A character known as “The Creator” will be introduced who may have a direct connection to the Transformers’ origins – and given the name, Sir Anthony Hopkins seems like a frontrunner for that role.
As odd as some of the news sounds, the possibility of the artifact being Excalibur does make sense given the way it connects to the title and logo. If the rumors are true, though, then it’s disappointing that we’ll be seeing Megatron as big bad again instead of a bigger threat like Unicron. While a version of Megatron was the main villain in the Transformers cartoons, we’ve seen him powered up and defeated in the movies multiple times now and having some other villain would be a refreshing change of pace.
Of course, it’s still important to take the rumors with a pretty big grain of salt. Not only could they be based on earlier ideas for the film, but director Michael Bay has also been known to purposefully leak false information in the past to keep actual plot details under wraps. Hopefully more official information will come out soon that helps to confirm or refute the rumors.
Transformers: The Last Knight opens in U.S. theaters on June 23, 2017, followed by the Bumblebee spinoff on June 8, 2018, and Transformers 6 on June 28, 2019.
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!