The Raid: Redemption was a spectacular American debut for director Gareth Evans, so needless to say that expectations are high for his sequel film, Berandal. But for those who have only been loosely following this hit Indonesian martial arts franchise, you should be aware that The Raid 2 isn’t the final chapter of the story: this thing has been planned as a trilogy from the outset.
So The Raid 3 is already in the planning stages, and now, thanks to Evans himself, we have some early details about what the third chapter will be about.
WARNING – SPOILERS for The Raid: Redemption Follow!
When The Raid: Redemption ended, officer Rama (Iko Uwais) had escaped the death trap of Boss Tama’s high-rise apartment full of murderers and gangsters, thanks to the assistance of his estranged brother, Andi (Donny Alamsyah), who stayed behind to take over as head of Tama’s criminal empire.
However, the corrupt police officials that first manipulated Rama’s squad into Tama’s trap are still at large, and Rama learned that survival had only bought him a slightly extended lease on life, as he would be a marked man after the Tama operation.
Evans previously revealed that The Raid 2 would begin immediately after the first film, and the Berandal trailer revealed that this will indeed be the case – and that Rama will be in for a bigger, badder and bloodier battle than the one he just escaped.
A plot synopsis for the sequel further details how Rama will go deep cover into the prison system to befriend the son of the city’s crime boss as a means of ferretting out corruption – so where does that leave The Raid 3?
- The [Raid 2] trailer is 2min 35sec and with the exception of one shot, it’s all new footage from the teaser. Only spoilers for Act 1 setup.
- Naturally, there’s a ton of stuff we have kept hidden from the trailer. About 4/5 action scenes don’t feature at all.
- I also wanted to put less emphasis on the brutality – this is the closest I could get to a green band version.
- The final shot is a tease – that fight I still get goosebumps watching it. Iko and Cecep gave everything they had for it.
- “The Raid 2” takes place two hours after the first, “The Raid 3” would start two hours before “The Raid 2” ends.
- We spent 1.5 months just designing the final fight. That’s the most complex we have done so far. Another 3-4 weeks on pre vis. Still a lot of work to do.
- We had a 3min 45s steadicam scene in a club but we cut it for pacing reasons. All deleted scenes will be on Blu-Ray/DVD. I’ll do a commentary track, hopefully this one will be more interesting.
So, this raises some interesting points about The Raid 3 (not to mention some awesome teases for The Raid 2). First: the third chapter will be an interquel AND a sequel – kind of like what’s happening with the new 300 movie hitting theaters soon.
It also begs the question of what occurs in The Raid 2 to allow part 3 to start on an overlapping (but separate) narrative thread. If Rama’s story in pt. 2 involves getting into (then out of) prison and taking down both crooks and cops all over the city, could the next chapter begin with Andi or some other character who eventually synchs up with the Rama narrative?
In a world where movie franchises now expand width-wise into bigger universes (not just linear chapters), it’s totally possible that The Raid 3 could indeed widen its horizons – possibly setting up the now standard spinoff installments, should the box office returns warrant them.
The Raid 2: Berandal opens in US theaters on March 28th, 2014.
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!