Surprise! The Avengers are coming to San Diego to save the day at Comic-Con International after all. The all-star cast, who helped mark the defining moment of SDCC 2010 thanks to Marvel Studios bringing the talent on stage for a momentous group shot, were reported two weeks ago to not have a major Hall H presentation at this year’s con.
While a big panel is no longer in the cards, a Marvel Studios presence is still a geek necessity and as I’ve mentioned online, seeing S.H.I.E.L.D.’s viral marketing campaign for The Avengers was something we expected to show up, along with some sort of event and/or screening for Captain America: The First Avenger which happens to debut during the Con. Now comes an insider report that claims The Avengers will in fact have a larger presence than we initially thought.
Alex Billington at First Showing is reporting that an inside source at Disney has spilled the beans to him regarding the secret Marvel Studios plans. Much of what was said raised some interesting reaction from the online film blogger community, some of whom were recently invited to The Avengers set. Below is a bullet list summarizing the rumored Comic-Con plans which may not seem too surprising, but are certainly exciting:
- SHIELD viral marketing similar to what was present at WonderCon where fans can sign up to join the secret organization.
- Set pieces from The Avengers film will be on the show floor (similar to 2010’s Odin’s throne room for Thor and 2009’s Hall of Armors for Iron Man 2).
- Bridge from SHIELD Helicarrier may be the center piece to the Marvel booth (we know it and the Quinjet will be introduced in The Avengers).
- The Avengers teaser may be shown during the event and possibly attached to Captain America: The First Avenger.
- Many of the cast members are expected to make an appearance, possibly for signings like they did last year.
The cast of the The Avengers made their first appearance together on stage at SDCC 2010 and we were in the front row to witness that ultimate geek event. For Disney to not come in full force with The Avengers at the biggest geek convention of the year after all of these years of preparation and anticipation, it would be a complete and utter waste. We look forward to seeing Marvel’s heroes together on screen.
The Avengers stars Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner, Samuel L. Jackson, Cobie Smulders, Clark Gregg, Tom Hiddleston and Stellan Skarsgard. It is of course written and directed by Joss Whedon, opening in theaters on May 4, 2012.
The Screen Rant crew will again be bringing you live-coverage of this year’s big show, so be sure to keep an eye on our Official Comic-Con Page for more as the event approaches.
Follow me on Twitter @rob_keyes.
Source: First Showing