Much to the surprise of Internet prognosticators everywhere, MTV’s Teen Wolf reboot has actually been a big hit for the network, successfully combining action, superhero, and soap opera elements to be one of the more entertaining genre shows of the past few years.Basically, if you enjoyed Buffy the Vampire Slayer or The Vampire Diaries (more the former than the latter), you’ll probably enjoy Teen Wolf.
Season 3 part one – easily the most action-packed and plot-heavy seasons yet – garnered the show its highest ratings yet, so it comes as no surprise that creator Jeff Davis announced at NYCC 2013 that season 4 is officially on the way. Additionally, a half-hour companion show (a la Talking Dead and Talking Bad) called Wolf Watch will air after each episode, to be hosted by season 1 villain Jill Wagner.
According to Davis, unlike season 3, which is 24 episodes long split into two parts of 12 – the first of which aired this past summer and the second of which will air January 2014 – season 4 will only consist of 12 episodes like the first two seasons. This was, apparently, Davis’ choice, because the workload had become too exhausting.
The Teen Wolf panel at NYCC was hosted by Damian Holbrook of TV Guide and featured the aforementioned creator Jeff Davis and stars Dylan O’Brien (The Maze Runner) and Linden Ashby (Mortal Kombat), who play father and son, Stiles and Sheriff Stilinski, respectively. Before the panel officially started, we were shown a sneak peek from season 3 part two:
Stiles (O’Brien) walks into a classroom and sees that a new girl is in his seat. He confronts her about it and she starts signing to him, indicating that she’s deaf, so Stiles just retreats to the back of the room instead. Eventually, he notices that all of his classmates are strangely motionless, and his teacher, Coach Finstock, is now signing to him, too. This is particularly strange because Coach is definitely not deaf and almost certainly doesn’t know sign language. Stiles freaks out, as he is wont to do, and heads for the door. Just before he leaves, he turns back and sees that the entire class is signing to him. A high-pitched tone starts ringing in his ears and he collapses. Suddenly, he seems to wake up in his seat. Coach is yelling at him for not paying attention in class. Everything appears to be back to normal. Stiles turns to Scott (Tyler Posey), who’s sitting next to him, and asks him why he didn’t wake him up. Scott tells Stiles that he wasn’t sleeping and he points to Stiles’ notebook, which is covered top-to-bottom in the words “WAKE UP,” over and over again. Did Stiles write it all in a daze?
- Jeff Davis talked about how the upcoming episodes will have a slightly different tone. Whereas season 3 part one was jam-packed with action, part two will be more of a psychological thriller. The surrogate sacrifices Stiles, Scott, and Allison (Crystal Reed) performed at the end of part one will make the show – and the characters – much darker.
- Season 3 part two will feature new creatures, including shapeshifters from Japanese mythology – one of whom may be played by Arden Cho.
- Ashby and Davis hinted that Sheriff Stilinski and Scott’s mom might have a romantic relationship down the line. They “definitely have chemistry” and are “definitely headed down a certain path.”
- Stiles will remain completely human on the show. His powers are his intellect and courage.
- He has a new emotional arc in season 3 part two – we may see flashbacks to his mother, and we’ll definitely learn more about her and how she died.
- Derek (Tyler Hoechlin) will return in episode 1 of part two and we’ll be surprised as to how we first meet him; he’ll be a “real hero” this season.
- There will be some really fun scenes between Derek and Peter (Ian Bohen) as we explore their relationship.
- Peter (who was revealed last season to be the secret manipulator behind all kinds of terrible events, which shouldn’t be all that surprising considering he was the villain in season 1) will likely not vie for the alpha role until season 4.
- Season 3 part two will have MAJOR cliffhangers and not everyone will be coming back for season 4.
- Will Stiles and Lydia (Holland Roden) get together in the coming season? Davis hinted at the possibility and said that he Stiles will lose his virginity – but he didn’t say whom to.
- Scott will have a new romance now that Allison is interested in Isaac Lahey (Daniel Sharman).
- Will Teen Wolf be adapted into comic books or graphic novels? Davis said that some comics have already been published (through Top Cow) and more are on the way, one about season 2 villain, Gerard (Michael Hogan).
- What’s in store for Lydia? Davis said that we’re going to explore her banshee side more, and that Lydia will learn more about her powers.
- How will Stiles’ dad’s relationship with him change now that he knows about all the supernatural goings-on? The biggest change for the elder Stilinski will be his police work – now that Sheriff Stilinski knows that werwolves, lizard monsters, evil druids, and more exist in the world, he’s going to go back and take a look at all the unsolved cases over the past few years.
- What can we expect from Peter? Apparently, he’ll continue going about psychologically manipulating everybody to his own end – but he’ll also get a taste of his own medicine at some point.
Teen Wolf season 3 part one will be released on DVD on December 10th, 2013. Season 3 part two airs @10pm January 6th, 2014 on MTV.
Follow me on Twitter @benandrewmoore.
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!