Star Wars: The Force Awakens is the highest grossing movie of 2015 with a massive box office take of over $2 billion. A lot of that sweet box office money was due to Star Wars fans watching the movie again and again, and casual moviegoers who were curious about the first new Star Wars movie since Revenge of the Sith in 2005.
Remember that feeling of anticipation for Star Wars: The Force Awakens before December 18, 2015? Waiting in line to be one of the first people to watch the first movie in a new era of Star Wars and feeling that you were about to see something special. Once the movie was over, you wanted that feeling again, so you got back into line and waited to re-watch The Force Awakens again. Now you can get that magical feeling again and again when Disney and Lucasfilm release Star Wars: The Force Awakens on home video. You can view the official in-home trailer right below:
During a shareholders meeting, Disney CEO Bob Iger announced the new release dates for The Force Awakens, which are digitally on April 1 and on Blu-ray Combo Pack and DVD a few days later on April 5, according to StarWars.com (watch the trailer for the release, above). The Blu-ray (or should I say Blu-Rey) will come with exclusive bonus features, such as behind-the-scenes documentaries and deleted scenes. Check out the bonus features below:
- Secrets of The Force Awakens: A Cinematic Journey – For the first time, discover the complete story behind the making of The Force Awakens, revealed through in-depth footage and exclusive interviews with the actors and filmmakers in this feature documentary
- The Story Awakens: The Table Read – Cast members familiar and new reflect on the memorable day they all first came together to read the movie’s script
- Building BB-8 – See how the filmmakers brought the newest droid to the screen, creating an instant fan favorite in the Star Wars
- Crafting Creatures – Watch movie magic as the filmmakers bring a cast of new creatures to life
- Blueprint of a Battle: The Snow Fight – Go deeper into the epic, climactic lightsaber battle between Rey and Kylo Ren
- John Williams: The Seventh Symphony – The legendary composer shares personal insights of his work on Star Wars and The Force Awakens
- ILM: The Visual Magic of The Force – An insider’s look into the remarkable digital artistry of the movie’s visual effects.
- Force For Change – Heroes come in all shapes and sizes. See how the Star Wars: Force for Change initiative has united Star Wars fans all over the globe to help others
- Plus Deleted Scenes.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens will also be sold in exclusive limited edition Blu-ray packs at a few superstore retailers, such as Target, Walmart, and Best Buy. Each pack features different bonus features and artwork exclusive to the retailers.
- TARGET – The Target Star Wars: The Force Awakens Blu-ray Combo Pack comes with exclusive packaging and an added 20 minutes of bonus content, including never-before-seen interviews with Daisy Ridley and John Boyega and a deeper look at the movie’s costumes and weaponry
- WALMART – The Walmart Star Wars: The Force Awakens Blu-ray Combo Pack comes with exclusive BB-8 packaging and an exclusive Star Wars Galactic Connexions trading disc
- BEST BUY – The Best Buy Star Wars: The Force Awakens Blu-ray Combo Pack features exclusive SteelBook Packaging.
Interestingly, The Force Awakens is still in theaters, so there’s still enough time to catch it on the big screen before it leaves. There might be a chance that the movie will still be in theaters by the time April 1 and April 5 rolls around, so you could watch it in theaters and then watch it again when you get home.
Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens is now in theaters, followed by Rogue One: A Star Wars Story on December 16th, 2016, Star Wars: Episode VIII on December 15th, 2017, and the Han Solo Star Wars Anthology film on May 25th, 2018. Star Wars: Episode IX is expected to reach theaters in 2019, followed by the third Star Wars Anthology film in 2020.