As usual – talk about whatever you like as long as it’s related to movies, TV or Screen Rant itself – just remember to play nice.
Mail (will not be published) (required)
Rules: No profanity or personal attacks. Use a valid email address or risk being banned from commenting.
Notify me of followup comments via e-mail
If your comment doesn't show up immediately, it may have been flagged for moderation. Please try refreshing the page first, then drop us a note and we'll retrieve it. Keep in mind that we do not allow external links in the comments.
I apologize for always going on, and on in these open discussions but I much rather be talking about movies then doing work…
Nobody might know what I am talking about, but if you do please help:
I read a series that I very much enjoyed by Marie Lu called “Legend” and I had heard that Universal had picked up the rights to the movie…any news about that or has anyone heard anything I have not?
There is a chance nobody will know what I am talking about* wow I butchered that sentence. Sorry!
The last I heard, the Legend film adaptation is still in very early development. At one point, a director was named but he dropped out.
I also read the books, and enjoyed them. As far as YA dystopian novels are concerned, I think the Legend series is a much higher quality trilogy compared to Divergent. But I also think that Legend will take more effort to adapt to the big screen; I think the screenplay writers will have to flesh out more of the characters for the story to work successfully.
I have read a lot of dystopian stories, I agree with you that Legend is one of the best. A lot better than Divergent. The story is so elaborate and I found myself extremely attached to both June and Day.
One you might not have read that is worth a look, the Enclave and Sylo series. Both very good as well!
Thanks for the recommendation.
My favorite YA dystopian series is Unwind by Neal Shusterman. An entire economic industry underpinned by parents being able to retroactively abort their teenagers so the medical industry can use their organs/parts for transplants? Yeah, quite sinister and disturbing.
My friend told me recently about that one! Now that someone else said it, I am going to have to read it! Thanks!
Shusterman is my favorite YA writer. I love the Unwind series and can’t wait until the next book comes out. Others I love by him are the Skinjacker series, Full Tilt (which would make a great film, among others), Bruiser, and the Shadow Club books. His novels have changed many of my non-readers/reluctant readers into book lovers.
I’ve been trying for years to get him to come to our county schools, but his fee is a little expensive for us right now.
Yes, Shusterman is great. (Hopefully you’ll be able to get him to visit some time in the future.) I wish that his books got more of the mainstream recognition that they deserve, particularly Unwind. As a series, I’ve actually enjoyed Unwind more than The Hunger Games. Like you, I’m excited to read the conclusion come this fall.
LEGEND’s movie rights were sold to CBS Films in February 2011.
It seems there isn’t anything new…
I’ve been looking too. Legend is my favorite book series rfght now and I’m trying to figure out if they are going to be made into a movie. All I can find is that the rights have been sold but nothing after that.
So I watched 300: Rise of an Empire last night and overall I just thought it was Ok at best.
I wasn’t the biggest fan of the first movie but thought it was entertaining and of course thought the visuals were great but with the sequel it was just a little more of the same.
I did admire the attempt to tell a more complex story but in the end it ended up being more convoluted than anything.
Oh well, I’m not too upset over it. Only paying $6 to see it was about right.
As requested by this audience :), I am gonna watch Edge of Tomorrow today!
Awesome! Let us know what you think.
So I saw EoT and I liked it
I had avoided reviews and comment section before seeing it, but the first thing I thought was “Spaceship Troopers meets Groundhog Day”. Obviously that seems to be the most repeated comment so not very original of me.
The movie was entertaining and fast paced, but I wouldn’t have minded swapping 10 mins of action for 10 mins of character developement used on Emily Blunt. I thought she had more to say.
All in all the movie was pretty good, very much what you hope to get from a summer blockbuster, but I wasn’t totally blown away because I was left with the feeling that it had potential for even more. I guess I quite agree with Kofi’s review.
So this is the 2014 movie tally for me so far:
- What I’ve seen so far at the theatres: #1 Cap2, #2 X:DoFP, #3 Edge of Tomorrow, #4 The Lego Movie, #5 ASM2.
- What I should theoretically catch up with on DVD: 300: Rise of an Empire, Raid 2, Godzilla, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Fault in Our Starts, 22 Jump Street, Bad Neighbours.
- What I should actively avoid (i.e. stinkers): Transformers: Age of Extinction, Malificent, Noah, Robocop, Transcendence, I Frankestein, Divergent, Pompeii.
- What I am looking forward to and will surely watch at the theatres when they are released: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Guardians of the Galaxy, Interstellar, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies.
- What I am not really that excited about…: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Sin City: A Dame to Die For, Hunger Games 3.
What’s everyone’s movie theme songs? My top 5 that come to mind in no order would be…
1. “Don’t You(Forget About Me)” from-The Breakfast Club
2. “You Could Be Mine” from-Terminator 2: Judgement Day
3. “Eye Of The Tiger” from- Rocky 3
4. “Lose Yourself” from- 8 Mile
5. “My Heart will Go On” from – Titanic
“Might Wings” – Top Gun
“Danger Zone” – Top Gun
“Take My Breath Away” – Top Gun
“Through the Fire” – Top Gun
“Playing with the Boys”(only if the volley ball scene is playing) – Top Gun
Despite how much these songs rock, I hated Top Gun.
This is really hard! In no order:
1. “Into the west” – LOTR: Return of the King
2. “Will you be there” – Free Willy
3. “I see fire” – Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug
4. “Don’t want to miss a thing” – Armageddon
5. “Don’t You(Forget About Me)” – Breakfast Club
Those are just the first to come to mind…I can not think of any right now!
“We will rock you” – The Mighty Ducks
I have a bit of a Top 10…
Eye to Eye- The Goofy Movie
A Real Hero- Drive
Black Sheep- Scott Pilgrim v The World
Shadow on the Sun- Collateral
Casa De Mi Padre- Casa De Mi Padre
Get Rhythm- Walk The Line
I Got a Woman- Ray
Goodnight Moon- Kill Bill volume 2
Ancora Qui- Django Unchained
Holy crap, eye to eye! You just brought back so many memories!
Haha you see it’s number one on my list!
I just had to look it up on YouTube…all I want to do is watch the movie know! Ahh what a good song!
Now* good grief
I guess my top 10 movie theme songs that come to mind in no order now is…
1. “Don’t You(Forget About Me) from – The Breakfast Club
2. “You Could Be Mine” from – Terminator 2: Judgement Day
3. “Eye Of The Tiger” from – Rocky 3
4. “Lose Yourself” from – 8 Mile
5. “My Heart Will Go On” from – Titanic
6. “The Power Of Love” from – Back To The Future
7. “Shoot To Thrill” from – Ironman 2
8. “I Don’t Want to Miss A Thing” from – Armageddon
9. “Gonna Fly Now” from – Rocky
10. “Kiss From A Rose” from – Batman Forever
Kiss from a Rose, nice. I just downloaded that actually.
1. Touch – Transformers the Movie (1986)
2. Blister in the Sun – Grosse Point Blank
3. Little Green Bag – Reservoir Dogs
4. Pretty Much all of Batman Begins
5. Bullet – Bullet
Ok, so this is how Phase 3 of the MCU seems to be shaping up:
- Ant Man (2015)
- Captain America 3 (2016)
- Dr. Strange (2016)
- Thor 3 (2017)
- The Inhumans (2017)
- Avengers: Infinity Gaunlet (2018)
And this is my wishful thinking on those:
- Ant Man (2015): I expect Evangeline Lilly to be Wasp and a good Wasp
- Captain America 3 (2016): I hope they introduce Black Panther and Wakanda in this movie. It would be the smart thing to do specially considering this movie currently shares the release date with Batman V Superman. They could place the Winter Soldier hiding in Africa
- Dr. Strange (2016): I hope there is some connection with Adam Warlock in here and they advance on the infinity stones plot too
- Thor 3 (2017): it seems the villain will be Surtur and its demons so this one might be more self contained and less of a cross over
- The Inhumans (2017): there are noises indicating that this might actually be a GoTG 2 potentially including Hulk, rather than a pure Inhumans movie, but the Kree need to be introduced so Ms Marvel can be created. I say mix them all in this one and make it all in space with Kree/Inhumans/Guardians of the Galaxy and perhaps Hulk trashing the place
- Avengers: Infinity Gaunlet (2018): Here is fairly easy, Thanos and allies comes to Earth and they have to face everybody i.e. Avengers (Thor, Hulk, Iron Man, Captain America, Black Widow, Hawkeye, War Machine, Falcon, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Vision, Ant Man, Wasp, Dr. Strange, Black Panther and may be Ms Marvel), Inhumans and Guardians of the Galaxy. Extra points to Marvel if the struck a deal with Sony to get a cameo from Spiderman in here
Since this year is Batman’s 75th birthday what is your favorite batman movie? Mine is The Dark Knight simply because how awesome Heath Ledger was as Joker.
It is a bit cliche but I am also gonna go with TDK.
How about the comics?
You have Batman Year One and Batman Dark Knight Returns from Frank Miller. You also have Batman The Killing Joke and Batman The Long Halloween… I don’t know…
For comics, one of my personal favorites was A Death In The Family.
TDK but Mask of the Phantasm is a close second. Then Batman Returns.
My favorite arc in the comics is probably Battle for the Cowl. RIP was crazy! (Batman of Zur En Arrh?) The Dark Knight Returns is a classic.
Mine would always be Tim Burton’s Batman’89 film. Both Keaton & Nicolson were excellent in their roles in the film as the film was entertaining from beginning to end.
Why is this site so rubbish ony mobile? Always crashing pixelated and slow. Sort it please I love screenrant but its winding me up
Hello everyone! Here are my top 5 CBM’s of all time.
1. Captain America The Winter Soldier
2. Iron man 3
3. The avengers.
4. The dark knight
5. Iron man.
I haven’t liked any of the x men movies yet. Haven’t seen dofp but I can’t say. I did like TASM 2 but not to that level.
Honourable mentions- The dark knight rises, TASM, the wolverine,x men first class and iron man 2.
Did anyone see Conan O’Brien last night? Jason Momoa was on there and even though it hasn’t been confirmed I think he is definitely Aquaman.He’s grown out a beard and looks perfect for what Snyder is going for I guess.I had my doubts at first but now im fully on board.
I think your right. I’m betting WB/DC are just trying to go for the biggest SDCC fan reaction possible.
Saw ‘Edge of Tomorrow’ earlier today, what a gem of a movie!! You want to see scifi done right and great acting then this movie is for you, although it wrapped itself up a little too nicely at the end. Emily Blunt? Where has she been? She needs to do more movies, but one could say she was underused even though she has such a pivotal role.
I don’t know about you guys but I can totally see this movie as an anime series. It seems like there’s so much more to the story that 112 minutes don’t do it justice.
Except for ‘Rock of Ages’, ‘Top Gun’ and that stupid Nascar movie I’ve yet to see a bad Tom Cruise movie.
Thank the 7 Gods for Tom Cruise.
It’s based on an anime called All You Need Is Kill.
You haven’t seen a bad Tom Cruise movie? Cocktail, Magnolia, Vanilla Sky, Lions for Lambs, I could make a longer list. I’m a little biased because I knew Tommy in high school and I don’t care for the guy. His range is extremely limited.
That’s what he was called in high school. A lot of things have changed since high school, he even used to like girls too.
Yeah, a lot of things have changed since high school. He has become a mega star and you seem to have grown envious and completely lost objectivity… at least you recognized you are biased.
Tom Cruise obviously has bad movies, like pretty much any actor, but he also has pretty good movies (A Few Good Men, The Firm, Interview with the Vampire, The Last Samurai, Collateral, etc). Besides, while it might not always pay off, I appreciate he is trying hard in the sci-fi genre (Minority Report, Oblivion, Edge of Tomorrow). Regarding his range, he won me over with his role in Tropic Thunder, so as far as I am concerned he can do whatever he wants.
All in all, when you look at his career (please do: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000129/) he has done pretty cool things.
So gay or no gay (what has that to do with anything?), please don’t pity Tommy. I am sure he doesn’t waste his time thinking of you…
Hater in da house!
I was just looking on ComicCons website and it looks so exciting and once again, I want to go but can not! With that being said, has anybody here been to ComicCon? If you have, which one, and what were some of the highlights of the one you attended?
Kara, if you dress up as Wonder Woman or Cat Woman please send me a picture. (Just teasing!)
Haha! Unfortunately, I will not be going. But if I was, I would be going dressed as an Elf for the Hobbit movies.
I heard that ComicCon wasn’t hip anymore (taken over by the big corporations), isn’t there another, smaller Con that all the cool kids were talkin’ about? I remember hearing something recently. (I’ve been to a Star Trek convention that’s about as geeky as I get. But I’d love to go to a Walking Dead Con, whatever they’re called.)
I’ve been to the Baltimore Comic Con a few times and love it. There are so many great writers and artists to meet there every year, and there are also a ton of vendors with comics, toys, and apparel for sale. Many cosplayers attend, too.
My favorite thing to do there is meet the writers and artists. Everyone I’ve met has signed my comics and happily taken pics with me, like Adam Hughes, Neal Adams, Eric Powell, Francesco Francavilla, Billy Tucci, Matt Wagner, Mark Waid, and more. Tim Sale was the toughest to meet, having only specific times set throughout the day for signings/photos. I came back six times and still couldn’t meet him, but he did sign a comic for me that I left for him. Ed McGuinness wasn’t taking pics, but he complimented my firm handshake, and thanks to it, he agreed to a picture. (Always use a firm grip!)
Two of my favorite cosplayers there were Judge Dredd and the Punisher. Both looked exactly like the characters, especially the Punisher. The guy was around 6’4″ with HUGE muscles, this don’t-mess-with-me look, and weaponry in hand; he was quite frightening as he passed by. I asked for a picture, and the guy was happy to oblige. Whew!
Stan Lee was there one year, but one picture with him cost $75-$100. They kept him behind this giant, curtained contraption. I never saw him.
There’s a Wizard World Comic Con coming to Richmond the week after Baltimore this September. Tons of actors will be there. I’ve never been to a Wizard Con, so I’m debating Baltimore ($25) or Richmond ($50). Even with the Wizard Con ticket, I’ve heard you’ll still have to shell out some cash to meet the actors for pics/autographs.
Why can’t you go? Location? Funds? If you get the chance to attend one, go!
I live in Virginia so San Diego is a far/expensive trip! If I did not have plans for other trips later in this year, I would totally go. Need to save up vacation days!
What are some of the things that I would see at Wizard Con? Like what movies? Because if it is in Richmond Virginia then that is really close to where I live.
Howdy, neighbor! I’m in Virginia as well. Here’s a link to the Wizard Con: http://www.wizardworld.com/home-richmond.html
Ahsoka Tano must be in EP7, 8 or 9..
Who thinks the same?
Is a Cabin in the woods prequel in the works? If not that would be cool.
My mom buys plastic garbage from the As Seen on TV section of the store, and always wonders why it breaks.