Big things are coming this season to ABC’s fairytale drama Once Upon a Time as former Lost star Jorge Garcia rumbles into Storybrooke as The Giant, of Jack and the Beanstalk fame.
Not much is known about Garcia’s big new role or who he’ll end up allying himself with, but the Lost alum will most likely appear in a multi-episode story arc.
Garcia is perhaps best known for his fan-favorite role as Hugo “Hurley” Reyes on ABC’s hit mystery drama Lost. Garcia will reunite with fellow Losties Emilie de Ravin (Belle) – who has been promoted to a series regular this season – Alan Dale (King George and chief prosecutor Albert Spencer), and Once Upon a Time creators Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz, who wrote all the Hurley-centric episodes of Lost.
Things are going to change in the little town where time stood still due to the Evil Queen Regina’s (Lana Parrilla) wicked curse. In another Lost-esque nod, a wave of thick purple smoke surged through Storybrooke in the season 1 finale when Emma Swan (Jennifer Morrison) finally fulfilled her destiny by shattering Regina’s evil curse, restoring the resident’s former fairytale identities and setting the the ball rolling for magic to enter our world.
Take a closer look at the ominous new Once Upon a Time season 2 posters that definitely indicate that
Winter is Coming “Magic is coming” (click to enlarge):
The Giant is not the only huge character rolling in for season 2. As previously announced, Irish actor Colin O’Donoghue (The Rite) has snagged the villainous role of Captain Hook. Meanwhile, former True Blood star Michael Raymond-James will be playing a “mysterious new character” that many fans have speculated to be Baelfire, Rumpelstiltskin’s long-lost son who fell into a portal from the fairytale world (and presumably to our reality).
If Captain Hook and The Giant weren’t enough, this season will be pulling out all the story book stops by adding a bunch of new characters including Mulan (Jamie Chung), Lancelot (Sinqua Walls), Sleeping Beauty (Sarah Bolger) Prince Phillip (Julian Morris) along with the confirmed Aladdin, Jafar and Ariel, whose casting is currently unknown.
Other Once Upon a Time season 2 story details:
- According to series creators Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz, regret and redemption will be a theme for the season. (Possibly for Regina?)
- The season 2 premiere, titled ‘Broken,’ will pick up right where the season 1 finale left off – minutes after magic has been released into our world.
- Meghan Ory (Red Riding Hood/Ruby) has been promoted to a series regular.
- The author of the “Once Upon a Time” book and how it came into Mary Margaret Blanchard’s possession will be revealed.
- We will see more of Cora, the Evil Queen’s mother (Barbara Hershey) and her connection to both Regina and Rumplestiltskin.
- Dr. Whale’s fairytale counterpart will finally be revealed. (My prediction: He’s the Whale from Pinocchio.)
- The identity of Henry’s father will be revealed.
- Jack and the Beanstalk will be featured.
- Maleficent (Kristin Bauer van Straten) is expected to return.
- Baelfire’s (Dylan Schmid) fate will be revealed.
- Jefferson/Mad Hatter (Sebastian Stan) will pop up again.
- The producers have hinted we may get to see Oz.
- Pinocchio/August Booth’s (Eion Bailey) fate will be revealed.
Well, if all that tasty new info doesn’t get you thoroughly amped for the upcoming season 2 of Once Upon a Time, then you may be suffering the effects of a curse and should avoid questionable looking fruit.
Catch the Season 2 premiere of Once Upon a Time Sunday September 30th @8pm on ABC.