Reese Witherspoon is walking in Memphis with the Devil’s Knot; we see Mel Gibson in snaps from his Summer Vacation; Dan Aykroyd gets involved in a Dog Fight between Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis; Seth Rogen joins The B Team and Andrzej Bartkowiak gets that sinking feeling with Beneath the Deep.
1. Reese Witherspoon has signed on to star in Devil’s Knot, a new drama about the West Memphis three.
Atom Egoyan (Chloe) will direct the film which sees Witherspoon “play Pam Hobbs, the mother of one of the murder victims who initially believes the trio murdered her son, but she is eventually persuaded that the three suspects are innocent and wrongly accused”.
Scott Derrickson and Paul Boardman, adapted Mara Leveritt’s 2003 book Devil’s Knot: The True Story of the West Memphis Three for the screen, but the script was rewritten by Egoyan once he came on-board the project, which begins shooting in the summer.
Witherspoon will next be seen opposite Tom Hardy and Chris Pine in This Means War.
2. Fans of Mel Gibson (yeah, we know you’re out there) will be glad to know that we’ve uncovered some images from his next film – How I Spent My Summer Vacation.
Check them out below:
The Adrian Grunberg directed fiilm sees Gibson play a career criminal incarcerated in a Mexican prison where he befriends a young boy who teaches him how to survive.
Looks like Mel is doing what he does best – kicking ass.
The $20 million, independently financed How I Spent My Summer Vacation is currently without a US distributor.
Source: Ace Showbiz
3. Former (current?) Ghostbuster Dan Aykroyd has joined the cast of director Jay Roach’s latest comedy Dog Fight.
The comedy sees Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis as two rival South Carolina politicians with presidential aspirations who battle it out on the campaign trail.
John Lithgow, Dylan McDermott and Brian Cox also star in the film which is currently shooting in New Orleans.
Dog Fight will be released this coming August.
4. Seth Rogen will produce and possibly star in The B Team, a new spy comedy from Disney, which is apparently a comedic take on Mission: Impossible. The project was originally picked up by Disney in 2008, when Derek Guiley and David Schneiderman pitched the project to the studio.
Trivia: Will Ferrell’s 2010 comedy The Other Guys was originally developed under the title The B Team.
5. Andrzej Bartkowiak (Doom) will direct Beneath the Deep, a new $16 million action-adventure set in the Carribean from Hannibal Pictures.
“Beneath the Deep follows a group of tourists in search of an underwater adventure in the Caribbean. When natural forces strand them in a vacation spot from hell, they must contend with unexpected visitors that view them as intruders and a threat to their own survival.”
Speaking of the project, Bartkowiak said:
“I am always fascinated by what I learn about myself, when I’m thrown into an unknown and uncontrolled situation. the Deep,’ set in the idyllic islands of the Caribbean, is a story of resilience and ingenuity when people are faced with unexpected forces, who have no other choice but to fight for survival.”
Sounds like Into The Blue meets The Beach – and we all know how they turned out.
Merry Christmas. See you at the movies.