– They’re still going to have the screenplay written by two of the writers of Terminator 3 as was reported back in May.
– Despite some legal wrangling that took place, The Halcyon Company, which now owns the franchise is still set to produce the film.
– They want to start pre-production in October and shoot for a 2009 release.
– There is no director attached to the project yet.
– The movie will not be called Terminator 4, but will have a title: subtitle format like the previous film (Terminator: Rise of the Machines)
– There’s no lock on Nick Stahl and Claire Danes returning from the previous film. Depends on a number of factors.
– Although Stahl played the critical role of John Connor, that character will not be the focus of the new film. It sounds like the new hero will look to Connor as a mentor or role model.
– They’re still planning on making this a new trilogy, but of course that depends on how well the first movie does.
There’s certainly lots of story potential here… it would be interesting (but depressing, I’m sure) to see the events that transpire between when the Skynet computer system gained self-awareness and when John Connor sends Kyle Reese back in time to protect his mother.
I’m curious to see how this develops.