Welcome to the first Mid-Week Movie News Wrap Up ever!
Due to the mighty success of “The Weekend Wrap Up” Screen Rant has now introduced a news segment to furnish you with even more news during the week! Hollywood is a busy place and now Screen Rant readers have the opportunity of getting even more movie news.
News this week:
We debunk Cher as Catwoman in Batman 3, look at the trouble behind Babylon AD; discuss the chances of a third Riddick movie, let you know how you could be apart of Spider-Man 4 and Woody Harrelson fights Zombies in Zombieland.
1. The Cher Catwoman story that has been doing the rounds this week is total BS! As we’ve told you before Chris Nolan hasn’t even spoken to Warner Brothers about a third film so any casting that you hear is pure speculation. The story originated here in the UK where newspapers like to make up fictional movie related news. The closet Cher has ever been to Catwoman (or ever will) was when she dated former Batman Val Kilmer in the 1980′s.
Source: The Telegraph
2. Mathieu Kassovitz, the director of Vin Diesel actioner Babylon A.D. has come out and criticized the film and the studio behind it just days before the film is to be released.
Kassovitz told AMCTV:
“I’m very unhappy with the film. I never had a chance to do one scene the way it was written or the way I wanted it to be. The script wasn’t respected. Bad producers, bad partners, it was a terrible experience. It’s pure violence and stupidity.”
In what sounds an awful lot like the troubled story behind the forthcoming X-Men Origins: Wolverine Kassovitz said this about 20th Century Fox:
“Fox was sending lawyers who were only looking at all the commas and the dots. They made everything difficult from A to Z. I should have chosen a studio that has guts. Fox was just trying to get a PG-13 movie. I’m ready to go to war against them, but I can’t because they don’t give a s–t.”
It sounds like Fox isn’t too talent friendly when it comes to genre movies these days. Alex Proyas had similar problems with the studio when making I Robot, Kassovitz seems to have been used as a studio puppet and now Gavin Hood with Wolverine issues. It’s hard to believe that this is the same studio that let George Lucas make the original Star Wars back in 1977.
3. Speaking of Vin Diesel it seems like old chrome dome is interested in returning to the role that made him a household name – nope it’s not The Pacifier. Diesel has been talking up a third Riddick movie.
Diesel had this to say to MTV:
“David Twowy right now is writing the scripts. The only question is whether we take a page from the Lord of the Rings guys and try to shoot the two chapters at the same time. There are two more in mind The Chronicles of Riddick was presented as a three part trilogy that would answer Pitch Black in the same way that Lord of the Rings answered The Hobbit.”
I wonder of Vin knows what hyperbole is?
Considering the lack of bank The Chronicles of Riddick made, I think that his claims may be a tad Riddick (ulous). However, it seems that Vin has never heard the expression “you can’t go home again” he has returned to The Fast and The Furious franchise, he wants more Riddick and there are rumblings about a third Diesel powered XXX. Ouch!
4. Want to be in Spider-Man 4? Now you have your chance! Joblo is reporting a story that you can now bid for the following on ebay:
- A visit to the set of Spider-Man 4 (one shooting day)
- Location of visit will be determined by Sony Pictures based on scheduling of visit
- A meet and greet with the cast (1 hour)
- A walk-on/ extra role in the film for the auction winner only
- Role and length of screen time to be determined by Sony Pictures
- Trip to the New York premiere
- Location of American premiere may be changed at Sony Pictures’ discretion
- Designer outfits to wear to premiere for winner and guest from top designers
- Designers to be chosen by Sony Pictures
- Winner and guest may keep the outfits
- Winner and Guest will walk the premiere’s red carpet
If I even liked the Spider-Man movies or had the five grand minimum bid I might be interested in this. However, sarcasm aside the money from the bid (if it’s legit) would be going to fight cancer (not crime) so I’m sure the rich person who wins will not only be very happy, but also feel overjoyed because they are carrying out a good deed. There might be a bit of a wait though, as no cast or director have signed on to the film… yet.
Now just imagine if a rich movie star put in a bid – just so they could be a part of the Spider-Man franchise. Who could be crazy enough? Nic Cage?
Source: Joblo and ebay
5. Like Zombie movies? Me too. So does Woody Harrelson.
The fomer Cheers star is set to battle the living dead in Zombieland. The film is a horror comedy to be directed by Ruben Fleischer.
The film follows two mis-matched friends in a world over run by Zombies. Harrelson will play a Zombie hunter named Albuquerque.
This could be good, but it could be terrible. I’ll wait to see a trailer before I judge.
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
That’s it for the first ever Mid Week Wrap Up. Until next time.