The Mid-Week Movie News Wrap Up this week features:
The makers of Disturbia are sued, Val Kilmer gets busy, is there too much Salt for Angelina Jolie and Tom Cruise, could Colin Farrell be joining Robert Downey JR in Sherlock Holmes and will Fox be giving us more X-Men, Daredevil and Deadpool?
1. The makers of hit Shia La Boeuf film Disturbia are being sued by the rights holder of Alfred Hitchcock’s Rear Window. The Sheldon Abend Revocable Trust states that the films are too similar and that the Dreamworks film should have obtained the movie rights to the original short story by Cornell Woolrich.
Source: Deadline Hollywood
2. Although a lot of actors in Hollywood attach themselves to films, nobody signs on to as many as Val Kilmer. The former Batman has just signed on to two new films (take that Tom Cruise!) Kilmer has put his signature on the dotted line of Fake Identity and The Steam Experiment.
“In Fake Identity Kilmer will play ‘an American doctor working in Chechnya whose life takes a deadly turn when he helps a mysterious woman escape from her would-be assailant.'”
Meanwhile in The Steam Experiment Kilmer will star as a crazy scientist who according to CHUD:
“locks six people in a Turkish bathouse, cranks up the steam and watches for the inevitable meltdown.”
I’m a huge Kilmer fan, so I can’t wait to see anything that he’s in. Even Knight Rider when it hits these shores (the UK).
3. I’d hate to be Phillip Noyce. It looked like the director had Tom Cruise lined up to star in Edwin A. Salt, then the Cruiser dropped out only to be replaced by Angelina Jolie. Now it looks like Angelina is a tad too busy and she has had to withdraw from the film.
Who will star? Who knows – heck maybe the film will fall apart, but at least they have a male/female friendly script to shop around.
4. Joblo reckons that my fellow Irish-man Colin Farrell is in line to star as Dr Watson in Guy Ritchie’s Sherlock Holmes.
My thoughts – great! Farrell rocks (I’m one of the few who liked Alexander) and I’d love to see him teamed with Robert Downey Jr and Russell Crowe as Morariaty (rumored).
As a side note, my film tutor once told me a real story about Farrell that was seriously funny. I might tell it… one day.
5. We all know that Fox is shafting directors left and right these days. Following the terrible summer that the studio had this year it looks like they are trying to get geek-friendly. The studio is now looking into a Daredevil reboot and a Young X-Men series as well as a Deadpool film.
I thought the first Daredevil film was okay, it looked good but it lacked soul. With a bit of luck they can change that. However, why not give Affleck a call?
Deadpool– I’m going to guess that Ryan Reynolds is a shoe- in.
Could it all be too late for Fox?
That’s it for this week! See you at the movies.