After unveiling the in-home video release dates and details for Ant-Man, Disney and Marvel Studios later announced the massive 13-Disc Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase 2 Blu-ray Set which would release the very same day, today, December 8th.
The collector’s package includes Blu-ray, 3D Blu-ray and digital versions of all six Phase 2 films (Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers: Age of Ultron, and Ant-Man) along with all their special features. Also included is a bonus disc with two new featurettes exclusive to the collection. That’s just what’s on the discs. Let’s talk about what else comes in the package that Marvel didn’t reveal previously.
Before we get into the unboxing side of things, we should note that the discs come in 7 cardboard slip cases, similar to the Phase 1 Blu-ray collection. Each individual sleeve comes designed with gorgeous artwork by Matt Ferguson who also provided the art for Phase 1. Click here for a close look at the artwork.
These sleeves slide right into the centerpiece of the Phase 2 collection which is a stand for a recreation of the orb from Guardians of the Galaxy, and just like the film, it splits in two to house the Power Infinity Stone.
The set is exclusive to Amazon in Canada and the U.S.. In addition to the collector-friendly goodies the Phase 2 collection contains, the bonus features are absolutely worth watching as well, one of which recaps the making of Phase 2 and teases the first two films of Phase 3. The other looks at the fun tradition of every Marvel Studios movie featuring button sequences during and/or after the credits and details how and why each of them were made the way they were.
- From Here To Infinity: Phases 2 & 3 Of The M.C.U. – Journey back through Marvel’s Phase 2 films, from its launch in Iron Man 3 through its fulfillment in Ant-Man, to see how individual characters grow and change, how their relationships with each other evolve over time, and how the universe itself expands with each story. Listen to filmmakers discuss the first set of Phase 3 films– Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War, Marvel’s Doctor Strange, and Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy 2 – and discover there are no limits to the adventure!
- Phase 2 Tag Scenes: A Making-Of – Learn the story behind the post-credit sequence in Marvel’s Phase 1 and 2 movies, and explore how the scenes connect and unify the far-flung characters and worlds of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Let’s Now Look At: Marvel Phase 2 Memorabilia (Including Sokovia Accords Document)
Marvel Phase 2 Memorabilia (Including Sokovia Accords Document)
In addition to the discs, the sleeves that hold them, and the cosmic hardware to display it all, there’s also a special envelope loaded with memorabilia. Some of it is visible in the official announcement image of the collection, but there’s more, including one particular document that was intentionally kept secret until after the Captain America: Civil War trailer released. But more on that later…
This last piece is the most interesting since it’s the only item not actually from Phase 2 and instead serves as a teaser of Phase 3 and its first movie, Captain America: Civil War. The Sokovia Accords, as we detailed here, is the Marvel Cinematic Universe analog of the Superhuman Registration Act from the comics.
It’s a new piece of legislation that governments of the world are forcing upon The Avengers to prevent them from being vigilantes (after multiple international incidents forced action). Instead, by signing this document, registered heroes can only conduct missions sanctioned by the United Nations which is going to be a major part of the central conflict of the next film.
Interestingly, and unlike the comics, the Sokovia Accords isn’t focused on secret identities and super powers since most of the names on this list are actually “normal” humans. Some have weaponized tech, some are skilled with certain weapons, but only three of the eight listed on this sheet are “super.”
Let’s Also Look At: Marvel’s Ant-Man Blu-ray (and Ant-sized Blu-ray)
Marvel’s Ant-Man is Also Now Available
Not interested in the full Phase 2 collection? Already have your favorite Marvel movies from Phase 2 and want to add Ant-Man to your set? Looking for a more affordable Marvel movie gift for the holidays?
Ant-Man also released today individually on Blu-ray (in a unique black case) and to tease the release, I was sent this fun (read: appropriately sized) version:
This mini exclusive Ant-Man Blu-ray “shrinky set” toy is designed with impressive detail by Janky Toys. The real Ant-Man Blu-ray comes with deleted scenes, gag reel, commentary from director Peyton Reed (who returns for the upcoming sequel, Ant-Man and the Wasp) and the following bonus features:
- Making Of An Ant-Sized Heist: A How-To Guide – Set your watch and count down the action in this fast-paced behind-the-scenes look at how to pull off a heist movie, including Scott Lang’s hilarious heist “family,” Ant–Man’s costume, plus amazing stunts and effects.
- Let’s Go To The Macroverse –Shrink down to size in this fascinating look at creating the world from Ant–Man’s perspective, from macro photography through the subatomic.
- WHIH NewsFront – A hard-hitting collection of content, including a glimpse at the future of Pym Technologies with Darren Cross, anchor Christine Everhart’s interview with soon-to-be-released prisoner Scott Lang on his notorious VistaCorp heist, and more.
As someone who had the chance to spend two days on the set of Ant-Man, this Blu-ray release features a lot of the interesting behind-the-scenes footage which highlights the extra work moviegoers may not realize went into making the movie. Ant-Man is the first and only Marvel Studios production to utilize a third unit and that’s because the film required teams dedicated to macrophotography to bring to life the little set pieces where Ant-Man shrunken sequences take place.
These features also offer great insight into the writing and creative team of Ant-Man, many of whom joined the production just before principal photography began, but all of whom will be back for the 2018 sequel, Ant-Man and the Wasp.
Marvel Phase 3 begins with Captain America: Civil War which releases on May 6, 2016, followed by Doctor Strange – November 4, 2016; Guardians of the Galaxy 2 – May 5, 2017; Spider-Man – July 28, 2017; Thor: Ragnarok – November 3, 2017; Black Panther – February 16, 2018; The Avengers: Infinity War Part 1 – May 4, 2018; Ant-Man and the Wasp – July 6, 2018; Captain Marvel – March 8, 2019; The Avengers: Infinity War Part 2 – May 3, 2019; Inhumans – July 12, 2019; and as-yet untitled Marvel movies on May 1, July 10 and November 6, 2020.