The Inhumans are finally about to get to their debut. After a canned movie that would’ve likely set them up for big things in the larger MCU, the property has since been transformed into a TV/movie hybrid. The first two episodes of the series will debut in IMAX theaters later this year and will then be finished on ABC for a full eight episode story. With the release date getting closer, it was only a matter of time before the entire cast for the project was announced.
Marvel began to make these announcements slowly with Iwan Rheon (Maximus the Mad), Anson Mount (Black Bolt), Serinda Swan (Medusa), and Ken Leung (Karnak) joining the project over the past few days. Now, the entire cast has been announced and it features more characters than expected – Lockjaw included.
Marvel confirmed the full lineup for Inhumans that includes the confirmation of a number of new cast members. These new members include Eme Ikwuakor as Gorgon, Isabelle Cornish as Crystal, Mike Moh as Triton, Sonya Balmores as Auran, Ellen Woglom as a mystery character, and confirmation that the giant teleporting dog Lockjaw will appear in some form. Showrunner Scott Buck had this to say regarding their additions:
With Eme, Isabelle, Mike, Sonya and Ellen portraying the rest of our leading roles, we have a strong cast that is going to add tremendous depth to our Royal Family.
Character descriptions for the new additions were also released, giving greater insight as to what each specific character will be like in the series:
- Gorgon- Cousin of Black Bolt (Anson Mount), member of the Royal family, and leader of Attilan’s military. With super strong legs, complete with hooves, he can generate destructive seismic waves with a single stomp. The yin to his cousin Karnak’s (Ken Leung) yang, Gorgon would rather fight than talk to solve his problems.
- Crystal- Medusa’s (Serinda Swan) sister, Crystal is the youngest member of the royal family and has the ability to control the elements. Impetuous and independent she is also deeply devoted to her family.
- Triton- Black Bolt’s cousin, he’s calm under pressure and supremely athletic. His gift is his fish-like ability to live underwater.
- Auran- Head of the Royal Guards on Attilan, a capable and no-nonsense woman. She is fiercely loyal to the King of Attilan.
- Mystery character- Smart, intense, and focused—so focused that oftentimes, social skills take a back seat. Her job at a private aerospace company is her life, second only to her passion for all things space and lunar. She’s primed to be swept up in an adventure.
The casting announcement comes at the perfect time as it was previously revealed that Inhumans would indeed begin filming today. It is unclear whether all of these actors are already in Hawaii to start on this adventure, but even if they are not yet, they should be rather quickly.
As far as the cast goes, after landing recognizable names for the four (arguably) biggest roles, Marvel went back to their tradition of casting smaller names that can become known as these roles to many. While each have appeared in various projects before, none will be as big as Inhumans.
That said, the character additions that are most interesting would be the mysterious character Woglom will play, the inclusion of Auran, as well as the addition of Lockjaw. Woglom’s description does not make it clear whether or not she is actually an Inhuman, or if she could be the bridge between Attilan and Earth. She does not appear to be part of the Royal Family and if she is “swept up” in the story, it does not sound as though she is closely associated with the Inhumans. However, more information on her involvement and that of the other characters should come to light in the coming months.
Inhumans comes to IMAX theaters for two weeks starting Labor Day weekend, prior to its television debut on September 26, 2017 on ABC.