No one expected The Legend of Korra season 4 – also known as Book 4: Balance – to premiere so briefly after the finale of the previous season (barely more than a month), and yet here we are. Episode 1 aired just last week and episode 2 will air tomorrow morning on Nick.com.
To promote Korra’s final season, Nickelodeon brought the show to New York Comic Con for its final Comic Con experience ever. On hand were creators Bryan Konietzko and Mike DiMartino, voice actors Janet Varney (Korra), David Faustino (Mako), and P.J. Byrne (Bolin), and Megan Casey, vice president of Nickelodeon Animation, who provided a behind the scenes look at the series and premiered episode 2 of Book 4.
BOOK 4: EPISODE 2 DESCRIPTION
I’m not going to go into too much detail about episode 2 – our review should go up tomorrow – but suffice it to say, there will be a few SPOILERS in the next section for the episode.
[WARNING: SPOILERS BELOW!]
The episode – titled “Korra Alone” (after the Avatar: The Last Airbender Book 2 episode “Zuko Alone”) – follows Korra’s three-year recovery after she was nearly killed in the season 3 finale and and left in a wheelchair. After traveling to the South Pole to stay with her family and Katara, she manages to heal her body (thanks in part to Katara’s healing abilities), but in present-day, she’s still dealing with PTSD and her inability to connect with Raava/the Avatar State.
Eventually, she departs the South Pole and goes on a journey to determine what’s wrong with her, emotionally and spiritually, and that journey leads her to a certain fan-favorite Avatar character that was teased in the trailer.
While the general consensus seems to be that the Korra season 4 premiere was quite good (read our review), this particular Screen Rant writer felt that there was a significant drop in the animation quality during certain scenes, especially those that featured a lot of characters onscreen together. Fortunately, the animation in episode 2 was gorgeous and there were no notable dips in quality.
- The voice actors made a funny video showing off their work preparation routine.
- The creators played the joint audition for Janet Varney, David Faustino, and P.J. Byrne, which was an early version of a scene from the first episode of Korra.
- We were shown all the new Book 4 character designs, starting with Kuvira (voiced by Robin Williams’ daughter, Zelda Williams). She was referred to as the “main antagonist” of the season and was apparently drawn to be similar in build and height to Korra.
- Other designs that were shown include Baatar, Bolin, Kuvira’s metalbenders (designed to resemble Stormtroopers), Korra’s various new costumes, and more.
- The new Airbender wingsuits (above) were designed in-world by Asami and built by her Future Industries company.
- Finally, the creators spoke about how bittersweet this final season has been and they thanked the fans for “taking this journey” with them.
What do you think, Screen Ranters? Are you looking forward to the final episodes of The Legend of Korra? Drop us a line in the comments.
New episodes of The Legend of Korra Book 4: Balance are available every Friday on Nick.com.
Follow me on Twitter @benandrewmoore.
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!