Christopher Nolan may not get the fanboy attention he once had, now that he’s done with the Dark Knight Trilogy, but that hasn’t stopped his upcoming sci-fi film Insterstellar from capturing major attention – both at in the mainstream and in the hallowed halls of Comic-Con.
Nolan and his Interstellar leading man Matthew McConaughey surprised attendees of SDCC 2014 by showing up in person – something Nolan never ever did throughout his whole stint as the director of The Dark Knight Trilogy, or even his previous mega-blockbuster sci-fi film, Inception. The pair was on hand for the Paramount Pictures panel, answering questions about the ultra-secretive plot of the film as well as debuting a new trailer.
Previous trailers and plot rumors pointed to a story where a man named Cooper (McConaughey) embarks upon a daring mission to save Earth through extreme distance interstellar travel, hoping to help our planet recover from an environmental hazard that has supposedly dwindled the food supply. For the SDCC panel, Nolan was unusually open to offering more details on the film. Here’s a breakdown of some of the major reveals:
- Nolan wants to create a realistic viewpoint from inside of a space craft to outer space.
- This movie is important now because Nolan says we’re at the “cusp” of space exploration.
- 2001: A Space Odyssey is the Interstellar’s inspiration – Nolan wants his film to be equally as ambitious.
- He joked about not listing everything that’s influenced Interstellar to avoid people knowing what he’s copying from. He did say he was obsessed with Blade Runner and even knew all of its lines when he was younger.
- Nolan says the story is really about what it means to be human and our role in the universe.
After that, trailer #3 was screened for the crowd. It apparently won’t be online for a few weeks, but early reactions from a handful of web journalists pretty much say it all - as does our detailed breakdown of the footage. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!