In a summer that may go down in history as one of the most disappointing release slates of blockbuster movies, we couldn’t be more impatient for the unexpected magical moviegoing feeling the trailer for Guardians (or Zashchitniki) offers. A Russian superhero movie with the budget just a fraction of what North American equivalent projects get, looks more exciting than most of what’s been available in theaters over the last few months.
Now that you’ve digested the trailer and its impressive visuals and over-the-top nature, let’s take a closer look at the superhroes themselves, or as the tagline reads, the “Otryad sovetskikh supergeroev” (The Brigade of Soviet Superheroes).
Guardians stars Sebastien Sisak, Sanzhar Madiyev, Anton Pampushnyy, Alina Lanina, Valeria Shkirando, Stanislav Shirin, and Vyacheslav Razbegaev, and is directed by Sarik Andreasyan off a script by Andrei Gavrilov. Here are the posters for Guardians, including a team poster and banner alongside character one-sheets:
These posters released back in the spring and were re-released with its English title. The powered characters on display in the trailer and images include the four heroes and villain:
- Sebastien Sisak – Ler (“Landman“) – can manipulate and control the Earth.
- Sanzhar Madiyev – Khan (“Windman“) – a martial arts master who uses blades, notably the twin crescent blades.
- Anton Pampushnyy – Ursus (“Wildman“) – a werebear who can control at will how much of himself transforms. He’s the Wolverine of the group and uses heavy weapons.
- Alina Lanina – Xenia (“Waterwoman“) – can float in the air and walk on water as if it were solid, and go invisible.
- Stanislav Shirin – August Kuratov – the antagonist who can control any tech thanks to his own suit, Modul-1.
Guardians/Zashchitniki plot synopsis:
During the Cold War, an organization called “Patriot” created a super-hero squad, which includes members of multiple soviet republics. For years, the heroes had to hide their identities, but in hard times they must show themselves again.
Share your thoughts in the comments and let us know who’s your favorite Guardian!
Guardians will see theatrical release in the U.S. sometime in 2017. It opens in Russia on February 23, 2017.