The original Guardians of the Galaxy team, first introduced in 1969, earned their own ongoing series in the early ’90s. The team was led by Vance Astro, a New York born pilot who became the youngest ever astronaut. He volunteered for an ambitious space mission to be the first pilot to perform interstellar travel, and limited by modern Earth tech, the trip would involve him resting in suspended animation for centuries. Astro arrived at his destination at the nearest star system Alpha Centauri in the 31st century, but human civilization had already beaten him there thanks to centuries of tech advancement.
The original Guardians team and their story takes off from there and is based not only in the future, but in an alternate reality, a different Marvel universe. The modern Guardians of the Galaxy – launched in 2008 – takes place in present day and follows Peter Quill, another Earthly astronaut, who eventually goes on to become Star-Lord and save the galaxy, forming a new team of Guardians, encountering original members along the way. The film adaptation will seemingly borrow elements from both, since at least part of it is based in the future.
In a March post on The Motorcycle Industry Association site, the UK trade body reached out to the industry on behalf of Marvel Studios looking for a specific, unique type of bike: electrical bikes that would fit in the year 2045. This was our very first hint at the timeline of Guardians of the Galaxy:
The MCI has been contacted by the film makers Marvel, who are looking for electric bikes with a ‘futuristic’ look to use in a major feature film. This will be shot in England in an imaginary 2045.
We spoke with the MCI and confirmed the bikes aren’t going to be weaponized in any way and are instead likely going to serve the aesthetic, likely as background props or used by some of the characters. We now have further evidence that confirms that the film – or a significant portion of it – will take place in an alternate future. Below is a list of positions that are being cast by Uni-versalEXTRAS for Guardians of the Galaxy for its shoot beginning in mid-June. Note the repetition of “future of a different dimension.”
- The Core - For the new Marvel super hero film we are looking for males and females who are seasoned professional SAs to be a core group of people who will be used for a variety of different roles throughout the whole of filming.
- Being on an Alien planet - For new Marvel Super hero film about a team of super heroes who protect the Galaxy in the future of a different dimension, we are looking for males and females who are amputees.
- Doubling for the Super hero – For new Marvel Super hero film about a team of super heroes who protect the Galaxy in the future of a different dimension, we are looking for males to double for one of the main actors.
- Albino males and females – For new Marvel Super hero film about a team of super heroes who protect the Galaxy in the future of a different dimension, we are looking for males and females who are Albinos.
- Tall Aliens – For new Marvel Super hero film about a team of super heroes who protect the Galaxy in the future of a different dimension, we are looking for tall males to paly aliens.
- Photo Shoot – For an art photo shoot working with world renowned art photographer (who has shown at the TATE and MOMA) we are looking for a girl to be part of his art photos – NUDITY WILL BE INVOLVED!
- The Dark Monks – For a new super hero feature film we are looking for males and females to pretend to be monks.
- Mutant soldiers – For new Super hero film about a team of super heroes who protect the Galaxy in the future of a different dimension, we are looking for males with Stunt or SPAK experience to play mutant soldiers.
- Getting around with no hair – For new Super hero film about a team of super heroes who protect the Galaxy in the future of a different dimension, we are looking for bald males and females..
- Protecting the Galaxy – Soon to start filming new Superhero film about a team of super heroes who protect the Galaxy in the future of a different dimension.
- The Big Man – For a new Superhero movie we are looking for a very muscular male to double for one for the main actors.
- Identical twins -For a new Superhero movie we are looking for male and female identical twins.
Fans can speculate about the alien species from the descriptions and secondary characters being sought after but it sounds like “The Big Man” is for casting Dave Bautista (Drax)’s double, while the other is likely for Chris Pratt (Peter Quill). The timeline begs the question of Quill’s origins in the cinematic universe and whether his time on earth before becoming Star-Lord will involve the present. Will Guardians of the Galaxy follow multiple timelines a la Captain America: The Winter Soldier and could we see the introduction of other universes (i.e. 616 (the main) vs. 691 (Vance Astro’s)) and time-travel?
By no coincidence, issue #2 of the Guardians of the Galaxy Marvel NOW! relaunch hits shelves next week and features the militant alien race known as the Badoon attacking none other than London, England (check out the preview at Newsarama). The Badoon are instrumental in the origins of the Guardians in every timeline, and even tie-in to Michael Rooker’s character of Yondu (they conquer his planet). It is also the Badoon that killed Peter Quill’s mother in the books. We’re just starting to see how the Marvel NOW! initiative is tying in more closely to the cinematic universe and we wonder what that means for Iron Man, who’s a member of the current team in the comics.
Iron Man 3 releases May 3, 2013, Thor: The Dark World on November 8, 2013, Captain America: The Winter Soldier on April 4, 2014, Guardians of the Galaxy on August 1, 2014, The Avengers 2 on May 1, 2015, Ant-Man on November 6, 2015, and Doctor Strange sometime after that.
Share your theories with me on Twitter @rob_keyes!
Sources: MCI, Uni-versalEXTRAS (hat-tip Steve)