Guardians of the Galaxy‘s theatrical run might be over and there are still a few weeks left to wait for its DVD and Blu-Ray release, but fans who are eager to watch the adventures of Star-Lord, Gamora, Groot, Rocket and Drax once more can now own a digital copy of the highest-grossing domestic release of 2014.
A big part of the movie’s charm, and one of the main selling points of the trailers, was the soundtrack. This was courtesy of Peter Quill’s Awesome Mix Vol. 1, which featured tracks such as Blue Swede’s “Hooked on a Feeling,” Norman Greenbaum’s “Spirit in the Sky” and The Jackson’s 5’s “I Want You Back.” In a world full of purple alien supervillains and talking raccoons, a funky soundtrack filled with ’60s and ’70s tunes was a nice grounding element.
To help promote the release of Guardians of the Galaxy on digital download sites, Marvel has made the official soundtrack FREE to download (legally) today on Google Play – though the offer is only available to U.S. residents. The album returns to full price after today, so be sure to download it quickly. Here’s the full track list:
1. “Hooked on a Feeling” – Blue Swede
2. “Go All the Way” – Raspberries
3. “Spirit in the Sky” – Norman Greenbaum
4. “Moonage Daydream” – David Bowie
5. “Fooled Around and Fell in Love” – Elvin Bishop
6. “I’m Not in Love” – 10cc
7. “I Want You Back” – The Jackson 5
8. “Come and Get Your Love” – Redbone
9. “Cherry Bomb” – The Runaways
10. “Escape (The Piña Colada Song)” – Rupert Holmes
11. “O-o-h Child” – Five Stairsteps
12. “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” – Marvin Gaye
Those who have already bought a copy of Awesome Mix Vol. 1 might be annoyed that Marvel is now giving away digital copies for free, but it’s a smart way to promote the digital release of the film. Making the digital version of Guardians of the Galaxy available for download ahead of the DVD and Blu-Ray release is interesting in light of how many bootleg copies of the movie have already been distributed; statistics from both the video game and music industries have shown that providing legal streaming services and digital downloads is an effective way of cutting down piracy, which is largely driven by ease of use.
Director James Gunn has also posted an insightful new track list on Facebook – titled Awesome Mix Vol. Zero – which is a little less official but gives fans an idea of the atmosphere that Guardians of the Galaxy was filmed in. According to Gunn, the film’s sound engineer Simon Hayes would play music on set in order to keep everyone’s spirits up, and to create a bar atmosphere for scenes set in the Boot of Jemiah. Here’s the track list for Awesome Mix Vol. Zero:
1. “Never Wanted to Dance” – Mindless Self Indulgence
2. “Party Hard” – Andrew W.K.
3. “The Way It Was” – Aceyalone (feat Bionik)
4. “I Like It, I Love It” – Lyrics Born
5. “Let’s Dance to Joy Division” – The Wombats
6. “Start Wearing Purple” – Gogol Bordello
7. “Ben Vereen” – Pigeon John
8. “Teenagers” – My Chemical Romance
9. “Black Fist” – Juskwam and Lyrikill
10. “Timebomb” – The Old 97’s
In short, everything’s in place for Marvel fans to watch Guardians of the Galaxy tonight and relive the experience by listening to Awesome Mix Vol. 1 on the way to work tomorrow (along with Awesome Mix Vol. Zero, if your commute is particularly long).
Awesome Mix Vol. 1 is available now for legal (and free) download on Google Play.
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!