The upcoming release of Gears of War 4 is understandably exciting for long-time fans of the franchise. Standing as the first major title from newfound video game studio The Coalition, the new Gears of War title will see the introduction of a new cast of characters on the planet Sera in a game set 25 years after the events of the original trilogy.
With the Locust and Lambent onslaught conclusively defeated, Gears of War 4 introduces a new threat called The Swarm, which is threatening to overtake the already devastated planet Sera. Fortunately, on hand to fight them is series newcomer J.D. Fenix (the son of former series lead hero Marcus Fenix and his wife Anya Stroud). Behind the scenes footage of the new game certainly serves to promise an exciting new entry in the larger Gears of War canon, a fact that can be further attested to in the latest batch of trailers to be featured at the 2016 San Diego Comic Con this week.
In the latest trailer and batch of footage featured above and below, longtime payers of series creator Cliff Bleszinski’s gaming franchise can get another look at the characteristically tense and fast-paced gameplay soon to come in Gears of War 4. The latest SDCC trailer also offers hardcore players their first look at the limited edition 2TB Xbox One S bundle, which includes the following exclusive features:
- Gritty, battle-weathered custom Xbox One S console with a massive 2TB hard drive.
- All-new Xbox Wireless Controller – Gears of War 4 Crimson Omen Limited Edition, featuring a textured grip for enhanced comfort; our most reliable wireless signal ever, with up to two times the wireless range compared to previous controllers when used with Xbox One S; and Bluetooth radio, giving you an easy wireless connection to your Windows 10 PCs and tablets.
- 4K Ultra HD video and Blu-ray player, custom system sounds, and a vertical stand.
- High Dynamic Range support for video and games.
- Full game download of Gears of War 4: Ultimate Edition for both Xbox One and Windows 10 (featuring cross-play support in all co-op modes) – a $99 value.
- Early access to the game on October 7, 2016.
- Gears of War 4 Season Pass, featuring the exclusive Vintage VIP Pack, permanent access to future multiplayer maps for private games, six additional Gear Packs including the Vintage JD Gear Pack, early previews to upcoming modes, and much more.
Also, be sure to check out gameplay for the recently unveiled multiplayer map, “Forge”:
Whether or not longtime players of the franchise will be satisfied with Gears of War 4 when the title finally hits store shelves later this fall remains to be seen, though everything released thus par has certainly set the tone for a more than worthy successor to the original trilogy. The Coalition has a lot to live up to with their first major release, so here’s hoping that everything falls into place when players take their first tentative steps across the war torn planet Sera.
Gears of War 4 will be available to purchase from all participating retailers on October 11, 2016 for Xbox One and PC.