Patient fans of HBO’s medieval epic Game of Thrones may have to wait until next April for the acclaimed drama to return – but not for some enticing new casting info. HBO has announced English rapper Ed Skrein and UK actor Jacob Anderson have been cast as Daario Naharis and Grey Worm, respectively in the upcoming third season.
For those slacking on the Game of Thrones novels created by George R.R. Martin – Daario Naharis is a confident and seductive warrior and the captain of the Stormcrows a groups of mercenaries who will help Daenerys Targaryen (Emilia Clarke) sail into Westeros. The role of Daario Naharis will mark the relative newcomer Skrein’s North American television debut – after the former teenage gang member became a popular UK rapper following his near stabbing death at age seventeen.
Also making his North American television debut, Jacob Anderson will play Grey Worm, the leader of a sect of eunuch slave soldiers trained from birth to go into battle known as the Unsullied. Anderson may not be that well-known on this side of the pond, but the young actor from London has already appeared in numerous popular English films and TV shows such as Adulthood, Episodes, and Skins.
Game of Thrones creator George R.R. Martin
Last month HBO released a few morsels of information, including a list of new characters that will be expanding the kingdoms of Westeros – now the network has released a list of a few more actors that will be joining Skrien, Anderson and Hinds in the upcoming season of the Emmy Award-wining series.
- Diana Rigg (Emma Peel in The Avengers) will play Olenna Redwyne Tyrell A.K.A the “Queen of Thorns,” Margaery and Loras Tyrell’s sharp-witted grandmother. Rigg will also appear in the upcoming seventh season of Doctor Who with her daughter Rachael Stirling.
- Clive Russell (Sherlock Holmes) has been cast as Ser Brynden “The Blackfish” Tully – the beloved uncle of Catelyn Stark.
- Tobias Menzies (Rome) as Edmure Tully, Catelyn Stark’s brother.
- Richard Dormer (Casualty) as Beric Dondarrion, the leader of the “Brotherhood Without Banners.”
- Thomas Sangster (Phineas and Ferb) and Ellie Kendrick (Being Human UK) will play Jojen Reed and Meera Reed, two young Crannogman siblings and children of Howland Reed, a Stark bannerman.
- Tara Fitzgerald (Waking the Dead) cast as Selyse Baratheon, Stannis Baratheon’s wife (the character, played by an unnamed extra in one episode last season).
- Kerry Ingram as Shireen Baratheon, Stannis’ young daughter.
- Paul Kaye (Being Human UK) will play Thoros of Myr, a red priest who follows the same religion as Melisandre.
- Mackenzie Crook (The Office UK, Pirates of the Caribbean) will play Orell the skinchanger, a fearsome Wildling.
Production of the third season began last month on location in Belfast, Northern Ireland, and will feature the new filming locations Croatia and Morocco.
Check back with us for more info on the upcoming third season of HBO’s Game of Thrones - which returns April 2013.
Source: Black Film