Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are reunited in Paul, “the movie about two sci-fi geeks whose pilgrimage to Comic-Con ultimately takes them to America’s UFO heartland. While there, they accidentally meet an alien who takes them on an insane road trip that alters their universe forever.”
Follow along as we live blog the Paul Comic-Con panel, featuring Pegg, Frost, Kristen Wiig, Bill Hader, Jeffrey Tambor, Joe Lo Truglio, Seth Rogen, Sigourney Weaver, and director Greg Mottola (Superbad).
- The whole cast came out to huge applause from the audience, especially Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. Sigourney Weaver got a huge pop too.
- Pegg said that Paul came out of conversations between himself and Frost during filming on Shaun of the Dead.
- Pegg and Frost took an RV trip across the country to scout possible locations and to get a better feel for a road trip. (This would have been a fun road trip to tag along on.)
- Pegg says they reached out to Mottola based on their admiration for his work on Superbad.
- Bateman discussed being the bad guy in the film saying he basically played Yapphet Kotto’s character from Midnight Run, but 100 pounds lighter.
- Sigourney Weaver talked about her love for comedy and how she was a big fan of the whole cast.
- Jeffrey Tambor joked that it was a stretch to play his character who is a “pompous ass.”
- Seth Rogen talked about being the voice of Paul the alien. He joked that he studied with Andy Serkis and Doug Jones to learn how to do the CGI work.
- The cast talked about their first experiences at Comic-Con and whether they can freely walk the floor. Bill Hader joked that nobody cared when he walked around. Sigourney Weaver thanked the crowd for their “sustained, enthusiastic” support for Avatar. Seth Rogen joked that since he’s lost weight he kind of looks like JJ Abrams and is frequently mobbed by Abrams’ fans.
- Someone asked who would win in a gunfight between Hot Fuzz cops and the Superbad cops. The panel universally agreed that the Hot Fuzz cops would kick ass.
The footage got a huge response from the audience. It was basically a trailer showing Frost and Pegg’s characters attending Comic-Con (which was a weird meta moment for all of us sitting in Hall H), meeting the alien Paul, and the subsequent chase by the government to capture the alien.
Overall, the footage was very funny. Paul looks like the traditional three foot tall, big-eyed alien that people associate with Area 51. The CGI was only 95% complete, but it looked great. Hearing Seth Rogen as the CGI character was somewhat jarring because he has such a unique voice.
The Paul character is very funny because he is basically just a regular guy, but he’s an alien. Everyone reacts to him in amazement, but Paul himself is basically just a jerk. He had some great lines in the trailer and I suspect that Paul will be a very quotable movie.
Joe Lo Truglio and Bill Hader had a funny scene together as government agents, and Jason Bateman looked solid as the bad guy of the film.
Overall, the footage looked great and I think Paul will be one of the funnier movies to come out next year.
Follow @screenrant for your live coverage of Comic-Con 2010!