Over at MTV.com the guys behind the AVP sequel Aliens vs Predator: Requiem spill a ton of details about the upcoming movie.
I won’t go into a lot of detail here since I try to avoid heavy spoilers on the site, but some of the highlights include:
– They really want to prove to the fans that this one will be different from the previous one. (It’ll be different, but will it be better?)
– I found this quote pretty funny regarding how acutely aware they are that the first movie sucked: “The only thing [director] Paul [W.S.] Anderson did correctly was bring people closer together in their community hatred of him.”
– The film focuses on one Predator and his hunt.
– Yes, there’s a Predator/Alien hybrid in the movie.
– While the film has a definitive ending, it’s open enough to allow the possibility of another sequel, which they would like to do. If they have the chance to do another one they would like it to be more of a bridge between present day and the original Alien, or take place after Aliens.
I’m really torn… directors Greg and Colin Strause are saying all the right things and from the sound of it they really are trying to take things back to the roots of the original Predator movie as well as Alien and Aliens. The question in my mind is can they execute their vision of redemption for this franchise on the big screen, or will their good intentions just go down in a ball of flame?
Maybe the red band trailer they put out was more of a fanboy-gore appeasement thing than something meant to convey the meat of the story… I’m hoping that’s the case and that this movie turns out to be more than just an uber-gore fest. I get the sense that these guys are true fans and I hope that they can pull off a great movie worthy of the originals.
Click on the following link if you want much more detail and plenty of spoilers…