Memories of cinematic dreck released in 2010 lingers on in our collective consciousness, even with the promise of more disappointing sequels and undesired franchise rejuvenation (see – the Lethal Weapon reboot) to arrive in the future. Enter the diabolical minds behind the Razzie Awards.
Nominees for the 31st Annual Razzie Awards have been announced and M. Night Shyamalan’s much-derided TV show adaptation, The Last Airbender, and The Twilight Saga: Eclipse are the leaders in the contest to be officially ordained the “best of the worst” in 2010.
Worst Picture nods were handed out to both Shyamalan’s Last Airbender – which our own Rob Keyes described as “a poorly constructed film with no sense of plot, character or emotion” – and the third Twilight film. The other three competitors in the category include the Jennifer Aniston/Gerard Butler rom-com The Bounty Hunter; Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer’s latest spoof snafu, Vampires Suck; and the TV show-turned-movie sequel, Sex & the City 2.
While two of the most widely-disliked features of 2010 – Jonah Hex and Little Fockers – failed to make the cut for the “big prize,” both snagged nods in the areas of acting and screenwriting, respectively. Jack Black was also “recognized” for his work on Gulliver’s Travels, while Sylvester Stallone landed a spot on the Worst Director list for his (shoddy) work on The Expendables (for a taste of Sly’s approach to filmmaking, watch this featurette).
New to the mix this year is Worst (or is that best?) Eye-Gouging Misuse of 3D, which unsurprisingly includes both the Clash of the Titans remake and the little-seen but generally despised Nutcracker 3D. Early prediction – Titans easily walks away with the gold-painted fruit statue for this category.
Here is the complete list of this year’s Razzie Award nominations:
- The Bounty Hunter (Columbia Pictures/Relativity Media)
- The Last Airbender (Paramount/Nickelodeon Movies)
- Sex and the City 2 (Warner Bros/New Line/HBO Pictures)
- The Twilight Saga: Eclipse (Summit Entertainment)
- Vampires Suck (20th Century-Fox/Regency Enterprises)
- Jack Black (Gulliver’s Travels)
- Gerard Butler (The Bounty Hunter)
- Ashton Kutcher (Killers and Valentine’s Day)
- Taylor Lautner (The Twilight Saga: Eclipse and Valentine’s Day)
- Robert Pattinson (Remember Me and The Twilight Saga: Eclipse)
- Jennifer Aniston (The Bounty Hunter and The Switch)
- Miley Cyrus (The Last Song)
- Sarah Jessica Parker, Kim Cattrall, Kristen Davis, & Cynthia Nixon (Sex & the City 2)
- Megan Fox (Jonah Hex)
- Kristen Stewart (The Twilight Saga: Eclipse)
Worst Supporting Actress
- Jessica Alba (The Killer Inside Me, Little Fockers, Machete, and Valentine’s Day)
- Cher (Burlesque)
- Liza Minnelli (Sex and the City 2)
- Nicola Peltz (The Last Airbender)
- Barbra Streisand (Little Fockers)
Worst Supporting Actor
- Billy Ray Cyrus (The Spy Next Door)
- George Lopez (Marmaduke, The Spy Next Door, and Valentine’s Day)
- Dev Patel (The Last Airbender)
- Jackson Rathbone (The Last Airbender and The Twilight Saga: Eclipse)
- Rob Schneider (Grown Ups)
Worst Eye-Gouging Misuse of 3D
- Cats & Dogs 2: Revenge of Kitty Galor
- Clash of the Titans
- The Last Airbender
- The Nutcracker 3D
- Saw 3D
Worst Screen Couple/Ensemble
- Jennifer Aniston & Gerard Butler (The Bounty Hunter)
- Josh Brolin’s Face & Megan Fox’s Accent (Jonah Hex)
- The Entire Cast of The Last Airbender
- The Entire Cast of Sex and the City 2
- The Entire Cast of The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
- Jason Friedberg & Aaron Seltzer (Vampires Suck)
- Michael Patrick King (Sex and the City 2)
- M. Night Shyamalan (The Last Airbender)
- David Slade (The Twilight Saga: Eclipse)
- Sylvester Stallone (The Expendables)
- The Last Airbender – written by M. Night Shyamalan, based on the TV series created by Michael Dante DiMartino and Brian Konietzko
- Little Fockers – written by John Hamburg and Larry Stuckey, based on Characters Created by Greg Glenna & Mary Roth Clarke
- Sex and the City 2 – written by Michael Patrick King, Based on the TV Series Created by Darren Star
- The Twilight Saga: Eclipse – screenplay by Melissa Rosenberg, Based on the Novel by Stephenie Meyer
- Vampires Suck – written by Jason Friedberg & Aaron Seltzer
Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-Off, or Sequel
- Clash of the Titans
- The Last Airbender
- Sex and the City 2
- The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
- Vampires Suck
The 2011 Razzie Awards Ceremony will be held at Hollywood’s Barnsdall Gallery Theatre on Saturday, February 26th.
What do you think of this year’s slate of nominees? Are they all equally deserving, or are a lot of these nominations below the belt cheap shots? Let us know in the comments section below.
- Ad Free Browsing
- Over 10,000 Videos!
- All in 1 Access
- Join For Free!