Wow, Comic-Con 2009 is already less than three weeks away. Seems like only a couple of months ago since we were there. Last year was a ton of work but also a blast (click here for our wrap up of the 2008 San Diego Comic-Con), and this year we’ll be providing even more extensive coverage for you with additional staff to cover the event.
Unfortunately if you want to attend this year and don’t already have tickets you’re probably out of luck as it’s been sold out for a while. But fear not, we’ll try to give you all the goods here on the site over the course of the event. It starts with preview night on Wednesday, July 22nd and runs through Sunday July 26th.
Included among the movies and TV shows that will be covered this year are:
- James Cameron’s Avatar (with 3D (rumored) footage from the film)
- The upcoming Sci-Fi alien invasion flick with a twist: District 9 (including an appearance by Peter Jackson).
- Mike Judge will be on hand to promote his new comedy Extract.
- The premiere of Mystery Team.
- Where the Wild Things Are.
- Sherlock Holmes
- Jonah Hex
- Ninja Assassin
- The pilot for the TV series remake V.
- Doctor Who (with an appearance by David Tennant)
- Caprica & Battlestar Galactica: The Plan
Oh, and of course Iron Man 2, for which I’m sure director Jon Favreau has something very special planned.
Also, this year Screen Rant has been invited to participate in the “Masters of the Web” panel (shocking, I know – I certainly didn’t expect it!). The panel will be moderated by director Kevin Munroe and will include an appearance by Brandon Routh and Sam Huntington, along with a preview of their upcoming film Dead of Night.
Here is the list of panelists:
- Robert Sanchez (IESB.net)
- Ryan Rotten (ShockTilYouDrop.com)
- Mike Sampson (JoBlo.com)
- Jeremy Smith (AintItCool.com)
- Brad Miska (Bloody-Disgusting.com)
- Drew McWeeny (HitFix.com)
- Devin Faraci (CHUD.com)
- Paul Christensen (MovieWeb.com)
- Wilson Morales (BlackFilm.com/AOL Black Voices)
- George Roush (LatinoReview.com)
- and me, Vic Holtreman (ScreenRant.com)
It will be held Thursday, July 23rd at 3pm – 4pm in Room 32AB.
Robert Sanchez of IESB.net organizes the panel and puts together what is arguably the most awesome party every year at Comic-Con: The Wrath of Con party (one of my highlights of Comic-Con).
Last year at the Masters of the Web panel tickets to the party were given away to some lucky winners. Here’s my favorite pic from last year’s party.
As Comic-Con approaches, keep up to date with our San Diego Comic-Con updates (check the logo on the right) here on Screen Rant and on Twitter.com by searching for #sdcc or #cc09. I’ll be there along with SR writers Kofi Outlaw, Bruce Simmons, Rob Keyes (and maybe) Paul Young. We’ll be doing live-blogging, panel summaries and hopefully we’ll get you an exclusive or two.
We may try to schedule an impromptu dinner, probably on Sunday night, where we’ll get together to decompress after the whole thing. If you’re around downtown San Diego maybe you can join us. We’ll firm this up as we get closer to the actual date.
Anyway, we’re all looking forward to it and we hope you are, too.